- Are Online Courses Better Than Traditional Classroom Courses?
- Why High School Students Should Take Community College Classes
- Studying Ghosts: Paranormal Investigation Courses at Community College
- How to Take Online Community College Classes for Free
- Mastering Math: A Guide to Passing Your Community College Math Requirements
New Math Pathways Match Instruction to Needs
In California, community colleges are trying a whole new approach to remedial math classes. Instead of requiring students to take courses in subjects they may never need or use, math classes are customized to a student’s specific major and area of interest. For example, aspiring engineers may need remedial algebra if they are to properly prepare for the math required in their degree program. However, English or history majors might be just as well suited to a class in statistics that teaches basic math concepts quickly and effectively.
New College Program in Mississippi Aimed at Correctional Facility
A handful of inmates at the G. Robert Cotton Correctional Facility in Jackson, Michigan are getting a new lease on life. Fifteen of the prisoners at this institution are enrolled in a pilot program featuring college courses from Jackson Community College. The inmates are enrolled in four rounds of courses from the school, according to a report at mLive. Classes include a computer course, which is available through a grant from the U.S. Department of Commerce.