Tidewater Community College
Tidewater Community College Photo #2 - The state-of-the-art Joint-Use Library on the Virginia Beach Campus
Tidewater Community College Photo #3 - A brand new Academic Building boasts high-tech classrooms on the Chesapeake Campus
Tidewater Community College Photo #4 - TCC's Norfolk Campus is located in the heart of downtown, just steps from the NEON District, an up-and-coming arts scene
- Founded in 1968 as a part of the Virginia Community College System, Tidewater Community College (TCC) serves South Hampton Roads with 4 campuses in Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach and 7 regional centers. The college also boasts 2 important cultural institutions. During the 2017-18 academic year, nearly 1 in 5 recent high school graduates made TCC their "school of choice." The college has 13 nationally accredited academic programs.
- The teacher population of 750 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Tidewater Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||750 staff||45 staff|
|Total Enrollment||27,646 students||1,577 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||37:1||36:1|
|# Full-Time Students||10,491 students||717 students|
|# Part-Time Students||17,155 students||860 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$33,400||$29,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- TCC has a wide variety of programs, from the academic disciplines to skilled trades to professional specialties. Many of our students go on to 4-year colleges and universities, and many more complete degrees and certificates that help lead them to rewarding careers in in-demand fields. TCC is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the associate degree.
Profile last updated:
- The nearest community college to Tidewater Community College is Johnson & Wales University-Norfolk (4.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- n/a students | 4.70 Mi2428 Almeda Ave Ste 316
Norfolk,  VA  23513
- 236 students | 5.10 Mi2211 S Military Hwy
Chesapeake,  VA  23320
- 226 students | 5.20 Mi7020 North Military Highway
Norfolk,  VA  23518
- 671 students | 5.30 Mi825 Greenbrier Circle Suite 100
Chesapeake,  VA  23320
- 315 students | 5.60 Mi6300 Center Dr Bldg 22
Norfolk,  VA  23502
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.