Why Community College
About the Survey
The recent survey by the Center for Digital Education and Converge Online took a number of factors into consideration as they were determining the top community colleges for technology usage, including:
- Integration of technology into campus life and course curriculum
- Documentation of online admissions processes
- Sufficient technology training for both faculty members and students
- Efficient use of Web 2.0 social functions
- Ability to accommodate distance education
- Ample online services for students, including tutoring and advising services
- Ability to utilize campus security alerts through technology
Michigan and California Community Colleges Facing Declining Enrollment
Michigan is just one of the Midwestern states that is seeing some of the most dramatic drops in community college enrollment this year. According to a report a CTI Career Search, schools in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo Valley are both facing smaller student bodies this year than last, with an approximate five-percent drop in enrollment numbers. More of the schools in the state are expecting similar declines.
Austin Community College in Texas has big plans for its students over the next few years, as the campus plans for major expansion in hopes of meeting future enrollment projections. However, as the campus undergoes the upheaval typical of construction projects, many feared that a student cutback would be necessary until the expansion was complete. Fortunately for Austin, that problem was easily solved by purchasing “swing space” at a nearby mall.
In Want of a Workforce