- The innovation and full scope of the service projects initiated
- Incentives provided for service
- The number of students involved in the service project
- The number and quality of academic service-learning courses offered by the college
This program has BHCC partnering with the school districts in the area to promote STEM careers – science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. To date, this program has involved more than 450 students in middle and high school across Massachusetts.
With the help of the Greater Boston Food Bank, this annual event allows architectural firms in the area to compete in a design contest that brings to light the problem of global hunger. The event has been a tradition in the Boston area since 2008.
Central Lakes College
In Minnesota, Central Lakes College is enjoying their third consecutive entry into the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll. This school is just one of five state schools that made the grade, according to a report in the Brainerd Dispatch. CLC provides many opportunities for students to move beyond the classroom and serve in their surrounding communities. Some of the programs staffed by students and staff of the college include:
- Mentoring and tutoring programs in local schools
- Assistance with Habitat for Humanity in the Minnesota area
- Work with the Lakes Area Soup Kitchen and Northland Arboretum
- Introduction of college and its courses to younger students in after-school programs