- Sex Offenders: Banned on Community College Campuses
- Community Colleges Receiving Grants to Ease the Pinch of Tighter Budgets
- Should Instructors Be Allowed to Carry Guns on Campus?
- Community College Curriculum: Drastically Changed by Today's Economy
- As Community Colleges Set Budgets, Tough Decisions Must be Made
According to a report on WhiteHouse.gov, one of the first companies to reap the benefits of this fund is ABS Materials. The company has produced an absorbent material dubbed "Osorb," which soaks up organic contaminants like a sponge to help clean up oil spills and polluted waterways. The company has begun generating revenue from their idea in just two short years, providing economic stimulus and jobs to this Ohio community along the way.
About Jared Loughner
Jared Loughner was a student at Pima Community College in Tucson. The college became concerned about some of Loughner's erratic behavior and eventually suspended him from the school. A few months after Loughner's suspension, he opened fire on a shopping mall in Arizona, wounding 13 and killing six people, including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.
When Loughner released a YouTube video that called the college a "scam" and associated it with genocide, school officials told Loughner and his parents that he was no longer able to return to his classes. He would also need to obtain a report from a psychiatrist attesting to his mental health before coming back to the school campus again. Loughner never returned to Pima.
About the Professor
According to a report at Inside Higher Ed, Daniel Petersen has been teaching philosophy courses at Hawaii Community College and at the University of Hawaii at Hilo for 21 years. He begins his classes with the phrase, "Shit happens," to introduce
Charles Wittington was in the army infantry in Iraq from October 2005 to June 2007, according to a report at CNN. During that time, Wittington survived three attacks from improvised explosive devices, and he had to be medevaced out of Iraq in 2007. After Wittington's discharge, he was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury. He also lost a finger in one of the attacks. Currently, Wittington is on medication and receiving counseling to help him cope with the aftermath of his war experience.
- Outsourcing can lead to a more efficient and higher quality education.
- Standardized curriculum offers consistency in quality.
- A competitive market usually means higher quality of product and service.
- There are cost savings between hiring additional faculty and outsourcing teaching services.
- Profit-making industries present conflict of interest with public goals of colleges.
- Outsourcing could undermine tenure-based employment system.
- Quality of teaching could be lower.
- There is lack of control by faculty over curriculum and course design.