We'll give a brief overview of the volunteer program and who it helps, as well as list a few of the community colleges that have come alongside the IRS to help Americans get their taxes filed on time.
Most of the VITA stations are located at community places like libraries, schools and shopping malls. Community colleges are another option where VITA services might be provided.
- Families with incomes below $49,000
- Those who cannot file their tax returns on their own
- Military personnel and their families
Elderly Americans can also get assistance with their tax returns, but instead of turning to VITA for the services, these individuals can go to the Tax Counseling for the Elderly Programs. In addition to assistance filling out tax forms, most VITA locations can help individuals file their returns electronically, so they get their refunds much more quickly.
The office is located in the Computing-Business Building on the Maple Woods campus. Through March and April, the office will be open Wednesday evenings and Saturday afternoons, except for during spring break. This school will serve individuals and families whose income does not exceed $49,000.
According to the Leominster Champion, individuals who need help are encouraged to make an appointment at the location that is most convenient for them.
- Your Social Security Number
- Proof of Identification
- Birth Dates for You and Your Dependents
- Wage and Earning Statements from Employers
- Interest and Dividend Statements from Your Banks
- A Copy of Last Year's Federal Tax Return, if possible
- Proof of Bank Account and Routing Numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total Amount Paid to Daycare Providers
- Proof of Foreign Status, if Applying for ITIN
In addition to the documentation, everyone listed on the tax return must be present to provide an original signature on the document if you want to take advantage of the electronic filing services at the VITA office.
Filing taxes is not something most Americans look forward to, but for some, handling the process on their own is nearly impossible. If you are in this situation, and cannot afford to hire the services of a tax accountant, check locations in your area or go on the IRS website to find a VITA office near you.