Black River Technical College
- Black River Technical College is an institution of higher learning committed to a partnership with the individual and the global community to provide lifelong learning experiences, seeking always to empower those it serves to achieve their academic, vocational, and personal development goals.
- The teacher population of 93 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Black River Technical College||(AR) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||93 staff||62 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,963 students||1,650 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||21:1||25:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,138 students||724 students|
|# Part-Time Students||825 students||926 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$30,300||$28,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Black River Technical College was founded in 1972 on land donated by the City of Pocahontas, and was known as Black River Vocational Technical School. The vocational school became the Black River Technical College in 1991, operating temporarily under the supervision of the Department of Higher Education. In 1993, the college became an independent institution of higher education. Black River Technical College is an architecturally modern designed campus with 18 buildings located on 89 acres. BRTC offers Associate of Applied Science and Associate of Arts degrees, Technical Certificates, Certificates of Proficiency, and Adult and Continuing Education courses. A Board of Trustees, appointed by the Governor of Arkansas, serves as the governing board. The college is accredited by the The Higher Learning Commissions of North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. BRTC faculty share a devotion to their diverse disciplines and programs and a commitment to the intellectual, technical, and professional growth of their students. The student-faculty ratio of 16 to 1 permits students to have a productive learning relationship with their instructors.
- The nearest community college to Black River Technical College is Crowley's Ridge College (23.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 230 students | 23.70 Mi100 College Dr
Paragould,  AR  72450
- 2,477 students | 43.50 Mi7648 Victory Blvd
Newport,  AR  72112
- 4,201 students | 47.00 Mi2080 Three Rivers Blvd
Poplar Bluff,  MO  63901
- 1,315 students | 48.40 Mi2005 White Drive
Batesville,  AR  72503
- 1,326 students | 54.40 Mi218 College Dr
Melbourne,  AR  72556
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.