Belanger School of Nursing
Top Ranked (2021): View Rankings
Tel: (518) 243-4471
- The Ellis Hospital School of Nursing prepares men and women for licensure as a registered professional nurse. The program is registered by the New York State Education Department jointly with Schenectady County Community College. This hospital-based school awards an associate in science degree in nursing conferred by the Ellis Hospital Board of Trustees.
Belanger School of Nursing places among the top 20% of community colleges in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Selectivity Lowest acceptance rates
- School Resources Percent of students receiving financial aid
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- Completion Rates Highest completion rates
The teacher population of 15 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Belanger School of Nursing||(NY) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||15 staff||85 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Ellis Hospital opened its doors on Christmas Day, 1885. Then called the Schenectady Free Dispensary, it had five beds and was housed in a two-story building at 408 Union Street. The hospital moved to its present location in 1906. Today the twelve-acre hospital campus, housing many medical specialties, has 269 acute care beds and 82 nursing home beds. The curriculum consists of 42 credits in nursing and 30 college credits spanning four semesters and one summer session. The primary focus of instruction is the care of the hospitalized patient with an emphasis on clinical practice. To address the increased health care provided in community-based settings, the Ellis Hospital School of Nursing curriculum has expanded learning experiences in public health, primary care and community services. The faculty of the Ellis Hospital School of Nursing believes education is a dynamic process wherein students acquire knowledge, attitudes and skills that enable them to better understand self, fellow human beings and responsibility to society. Learning is dependent upon the students' ability, readiness to learn and active participation in the process. The Ellis Hospital School of Nursing offers an evening/weekend alternative for completion of the associate degree curriculum. The prerequisites for admission to the evening/weekend program are the same as for the traditional day program with the addition of Anatomy and Physiology I, Anatomy and Physiology II, and Microbiology. The evening/weekend program will take approximately 20 more weeks to complete than the traditional day program.
The nearest community college to Belanger School of Nursing is Schenectady County Community College (1.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 5,231 students | 1.90 Mi78 Washington Avenue
Schenectady,  NY  12305
(518) 381-1200 1.905,231
- 419 students | 9.00 Mi1259 Central Ave
Albany,  NY  12205
(518) 437-0000000 9.00419
- 422 students | 10.60 Mi855 Central Ave
Albany,  NY  12206
(518) 786-0855 10.60422
- 40 students | 10.80 Mi14 Computer Drive West
Albany,  NY  12205
(518) 438-7682 10.8040
- 912 students | 11.40 Mi700 New Scotland Ave
Albany,  NY  12208
(518) 438-3111 11.40912
Learn about how the failure of the American auto industry, along with President Obama's education initiatives, will translate into increased enrollment in community college campuses.
Learn about a new option students are using to finance their community college education: savings-matching programs.
As tuition rates at community colleges increase nationwide, we share options in financial aid and other tips to make the college experience more affordable, including what the government has proposed to keep community college affordable.