Belanger School of Nursing
- The Ellis Hospital School of Nursing prepares men and women for licensure as a registered professional nurse. The program is registered by the New York State Education Department jointly with Schenectady County Community College. This hospital-based school awards an associate in science degree in nursing conferred by the Ellis Hospital Board of Trustees.
- The teacher population of 15 teachers has declined by 31% over five years.
|Belanger School of Nursing||(NY) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||15 staff||85 staff|
|Total Enrollment||127 students||1,688 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1||27:1|
|# Full-Time Students||41 students||1,163 students|
|# Part-Time Students||86 students||525 students|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$59,700||$35,300|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Ellis Hospital opened its doors on Christmas Day, 1885. Then called the Schenectady Free Dispensary, it had five beds and was housed in a two-story building at 408 Union Street. The hospital moved to its present location in 1906. Today the twelve-acre hospital campus, housing many medical specialties, has 269 acute care beds and 82 nursing home beds. The curriculum consists of 42 credits in nursing and 30 college credits spanning four semesters and one summer session. The primary focus of instruction is the care of the hospitalized patient with an emphasis on clinical practice. To address the increased health care provided in community-based settings, the Ellis Hospital School of Nursing curriculum has expanded learning experiences in public health, primary care and community services. The faculty of the Ellis Hospital School of Nursing believes education is a dynamic process wherein students acquire knowledge, attitudes and skills that enable them to better understand self, fellow human beings and responsibility to society. Learning is dependent upon the students' ability, readiness to learn and active participation in the process. The Ellis Hospital School of Nursing offers an evening/weekend alternative for completion of the associate degree curriculum. The prerequisites for admission to the evening/weekend program are the same as for the traditional day program with the addition of Anatomy and Physiology I, Anatomy and Physiology II, and Microbiology. The evening/weekend program will take approximately 20 more weeks to complete than the traditional day program.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 6,497 students | 1.80 Mi78 Washington Avenue
Schenectady,  NY  12305
- 500 students | 10.00 Mi1259 Central Ave
Albany,  NY  12205
- 65 students | 11.50 Mi7 Harriman Campus Road
Albany,  NY  12206
- 748 students | 11.60 Mi855 Central Ave
Albany,  NY  12206
- 837 students | 12.50 Mi700 New Scotland Avenue
Albany,  NY  12208
March 21, 2018
Learn how community colleges are outperforming 4 year universities in several different areas.
March 14, 2018
Although California’s real estate may be soft, the state’s community college constructions projects are booming. Learn about where the $1.6 billion is going and how community colleges are improving their facilities.
March 11, 2018
Community colleges face many hurdles, ranging from budget constraints to increased enrollment, but a new study pinpoints some of the largest issues - which may surprise you.