Belanger School of Nursing
- The Ellis Hospital School of Nursing prepares men and women for licensure as a registered professional nurse. The program is registered by the New York State Education Department jointly with Schenectady County Community College. This hospital-based school awards an associate in science degree in nursing conferred by the Ellis Hospital Board of Trustees.
Top Placements (New York)
Listed among the top community colleges in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Selectivity Lowest acceptance rates
- School Resources Percent of students receiving financial aid
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- Completion Rates Highest completion rates
- The teacher population of 15 teachers has declined by 31% over five years.
|Belanger School of Nursing||(NY) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||15 staff||81 staff|
|Total Enrollment||127 students||1,701 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||41 students||1,163 students|
|# Part-Time Students||86 students||538 students|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$59,700||$35,300|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Ellis Hospital opened its doors on Christmas Day, 1885. Then called the Schenectady Free Dispensary, it had five beds and was housed in a two-story building at 408 Union Street. The hospital moved to its present location in 1906. Today the twelve-acre hospital campus, housing many medical specialties, has 269 acute care beds and 82 nursing home beds. The curriculum consists of 42 credits in nursing and 30 college credits spanning four semesters and one summer session. The primary focus of instruction is the care of the hospitalized patient with an emphasis on clinical practice. To address the increased health care provided in community-based settings, the Ellis Hospital School of Nursing curriculum has expanded learning experiences in public health, primary care and community services. The faculty of the Ellis Hospital School of Nursing believes education is a dynamic process wherein students acquire knowledge, attitudes and skills that enable them to better understand self, fellow human beings and responsibility to society. Learning is dependent upon the students' ability, readiness to learn and active participation in the process. The Ellis Hospital School of Nursing offers an evening/weekend alternative for completion of the associate degree curriculum. The prerequisites for admission to the evening/weekend program are the same as for the traditional day program with the addition of Anatomy and Physiology I, Anatomy and Physiology II, and Microbiology. The evening/weekend program will take approximately 20 more weeks to complete than the traditional day program.
- The nearest community college to Belanger School of Nursing is Schenectady County Community College (1.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 6,497 students | 1.80 Mi78 Washington Avenue
Schenectady,  NY  12305
- 500 students | 10.00 Mi1259 Central Ave
Albany,  NY  12205
- 65 students | 11.50 Mi7 Harriman Campus Road
Albany,  NY  12206
- 748 students | 11.60 Mi855 Central Ave
Albany,  NY  12206
- 837 students | 12.50 Mi700 New Scotland Avenue
Albany,  NY  12208
We report on the recent increases in Stafford Loan Rates, which have led to some community colleges across the country discontinuing this option for financial aid.
Attending college is expensive but there are options for financing beyond just student loans. Keep reading to learn more.
College is expensive enough without the added cost of medical school on top of it. If you're on a pre-med track, consider taking some of your prerequisites at community college. Keep reading to learn more.