- The Ellis Hospital School of Nursing prepares men and women for licensure as a registered professional nurse. The program is registered by the New York State Education Department jointly with Schenectady County Community College. This hospital-based school awards an associate in science degree in nursing conferred by the Ellis Hospital Board of Trustees.
Belanger School of Nursing serves 143 students (6% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 7:1 is lower than the state community college average of 10:1.
Minority enrollment is 28% of the student body (majority Black), which is less than the state average of 57%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 143 students
- Private-state tuition: $9,261
- Acceptance Rate: 40%
- Student:teacher ratio: 7:1
- Minority enrollment: 28%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Belanger School of Nursing ranks among the top 20% of public schools in New York for:
The teacher population of 21 teachers has grown by 40% over five years.
Belanger School of Nursing
(NY) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Belanger School of Nursing has grown by 25% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 7:1 has increased from 6:1 over five years.
The Belanger School of Nursing diversity score of 0.47 is less than the state average of 0.72. The school's diversity has grown by 6% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years) (Year 2013)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The private state tuition of $9,261 is less than the state average of $16,274. The private state tuition has declined by 9% over four years.
Private State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Ellis Hospital opened its doors on Christmas Day, 1885. Then called the Schenectady Free Dispensary, it had five beds and was housed in a two-story building at 408 Union Street. The hospital moved to its present location in 1906. Today the twelve-acre hospital campus, housing many medical specialties, has 269 acute care beds and 82 nursing home beds. The curriculum consists of 42 credits in nursing and 30 college credits spanning four semesters and one summer session. The primary focus of instruction is the care of the hospitalized patient with an emphasis on clinical practice. To address the increased health care provided in community-based settings, the Ellis Hospital School of Nursing curriculum has expanded learning experiences in public health, primary care and community services. The faculty of the Ellis Hospital School of Nursing believes education is a dynamic process wherein students acquire knowledge, attitudes and skills that enable them to better understand self, fellow human beings and responsibility to society. Learning is dependent upon the students' ability, readiness to learn and active participation in the process. The Ellis Hospital School of Nursing offers an evening/weekend alternative for completion of the associate degree curriculum. The prerequisites for admission to the evening/weekend program are the same as for the traditional day program with the addition of Anatomy and Physiology I, Anatomy and Physiology II, and Microbiology. The evening/weekend program will take approximately 20 more weeks to complete than the traditional day program.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Belanger School of Nursing cost?
Belanger School of Nursing's private state tuition is approximately $9,261.
What is the acceptance rate of Belanger School of Nursing?
The acceptance rate of Belanger School of Nursing is 40%, which is lower than the state average of 72%. Belanger School of Nursing's acceptance rate is ranked among the top community colleges in New York with low acceptance rates.
What is Belanger School of Nursing's ranking?
Belanger School of Nursing ranks among the top 20% of community college in New York for: Lowest acceptance rates, Percent of students receiving financial aid, Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation) and Highest completion rates.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.