American Academy of Dramatic Arts-New York
Top Ranked (2021): View Rankings
Tel: (212) 686-9244
- The American Academy of Dramatic Arts is a vibrant community of practicing professionals and students working together in a challenging and supportive environment.
The teacher population of 16 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|American Academy of Dramatic Arts-New York||(NY) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Special Focus Two-Year: Arts & Design||Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private not-for-profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||16 staff||88 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The American Academy of Dramatic Arts has both the location and the program to move you closer to your dream. With campuses in the hearts of both New York City and Los Angeles, the Academy offers the aspiring actor a stimulating, inspiring environment and a fertile ground for professional and personal growth. The two campuses comprise one school, sharing the same philosophy, objectives and programs. The Academy's New York campus is right on Madison Avenue, in a landmark building designed by acclaimed architect Stanford White. The six-story structure has classrooms, rehearsal halls, dance studios, dressing rooms, a prop department and production workshop, a costume department, a library and a student lounge. Three theatres — a 169-seat proscenium theatre, a 164-seat thrust-stage theatre and an arena-style theater seating 103 — are used for classes and rehearsals as well as full productions. The Academy stresses practical, professional training for stage, film and television. The program is highly structured, focusing on acting, voice and speech, and movement, with an emphasis on self-discipline, self-discovery and, above all, individuality. At each stage of development, students' classroom knowledge is tested through onstage performances.
The nearest community college to American Academy of Dramatic Arts-New York is Fashion Institute of Technology (0.5 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 8,767 students | 0.50 Mi227 W 27th St
New York, NY 10001
(212) 217-7999 0.508,767
- 955 students | 0.50 Mi50 West 40th Street
New York, NY 10018
(646) 313-8000 0.50955
- 411 students | 0.50 Mi8 E 40th St
New York, NY 10016
(212) 686-9040 0.50411
- 3,696 students | 0.60 Mi3 East 43 Street
New York, NY 10017
(212) 986-4343 0.603,696
- 490 students | 0.60 Mi500 7th Ave
New York, NY 10018
(212) 349-4330 0.60490
Community colleges are quickly becoming a key competitor against four year universities – and for many good reasons! Learn about why more students are opting to enroll in their local community college, rather than going straight to four year institutions.
Hunting for a job is always nerve-wracking but even more so in the aftermath of a global pandemic. Read on to learn some job-hunting tactics and tips for remote interviewing.
May 18, 2021
The world was ill-prepared to find itself in the midst of a global pandemic and the effects of the past year will linger for many years to come. No industry was unaffected and the pandemic brought to light inequities in many, particularly the U.S. education system. Read on to learn how the pandemic has affected community colleges and what students can expect in the future.