New York Career Institute
Top Ranked (2022): View Rankings
Tel: (212) 962-0002
- New York Career Institute provides a postsecondary educational experience designed to prepare students for productive careers in contemporary career fields. The programs of study provide students with a careful balance of the theoretical knowledge and practical skills deemed necessary by employers and educators in the related fields.
The teacher population of 18 teachers has declined by 18% over five years.
|New York Career Institute||(NY) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate Colleges: Diverse Fields|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, for profit||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||18 staff||158 staff|
Source: 2020 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- New York Career Institute was founded in 1941 under the name of School of Stenotype Exclusively, and was located in the midtown area. In order to be in the center of the city, state and federal courts, and freelance reporting companies, the college was relocated in 1959 to Broadway near City Hall. At that time, the name of the college was changed to Stenotype Academy. In 1982 the New York State Board of Regents granted Stenotype Academy authority to confer an Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) degree as well as a Certificate in Court Reporting. In 1998, the name of the college was changed to New York Career Institute. The college is authorized by the New York State Board of Regents to confer AOS degrees and Certificates in Medical Office Administration and Court Reporting, and an AOS degree in Paralegal Studies. Both the degree and certificate programs offer a comprehensive course of study. For the convenience of students, both day and evening classes are offered for all programs. Classes are also generally available on Saturdays. New York Career Institute is the only college in New York City that awards an Associate degree in Court Reporting, as well as Office Sciences and Paralegal Studies. High school seniors making a first-time career choice and adults looking to retrain are offered a unique combination of theory and hands-on training that teaches not only "why" but "how," while successfully preparing graduates for immediate employment. Most important, a faculty comprised of registered court reporters, practicing attorneys and medical specialists is there to guide students toward careers as Court Reporters, Legal Assistants and Medical Office Professionals. New York Career Institute is accredited by the New York State Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education, a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
The nearest community college to New York Career Institute is CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College (0.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 25,500 students | 0.40 Mi199 Chambers St
New York, NY 10007
(212) 220-8000 0.4025,500
- 1,011 students | 0.50 Mi408 Broadway 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10013
(212) 226-7300 0.501,011
- 17,036 students | 1.60 Mi300 Jay St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 260-5500 1.6017,036
- 4,358 students | 1.90 Mi!51 Lawrence Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 522-9073 1.904,358
- 8,726 students | 2.50 Mi227 W 27th St
New York, NY 10001
(212) 217-7999 2.508,726
You've graduated from community college - now what? Keep reading to learn what to do after you've finished college.
Your local community college campus offers a variety of art programs both traditional and modern. Find out more about them here.
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.