New York Career Institute
Tel: (212) 962-0002
- New York Career Institute provides a postsecondary educational experience designed to prepare students for productive careers in contemporary career fields. The programs of study provide students with a careful balance of the theoretical knowledge and practical skills deemed necessary by employers and educators in the related fields.
The teacher population of 18 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|New York Career Institute||(NY) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, for profit||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||18 staff||85 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- New York Career Institute was founded in 1941 under the name of School of Stenotype Exclusively, and was located in the midtown area. In order to be in the center of the city, state and federal courts, and freelance reporting companies, the college was relocated in 1959 to Broadway near City Hall. At that time, the name of the college was changed to Stenotype Academy. In 1982 the New York State Board of Regents granted Stenotype Academy authority to confer an Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) degree as well as a Certificate in Court Reporting. In 1998, the name of the college was changed to New York Career Institute. The college is authorized by the New York State Board of Regents to confer AOS degrees and Certificates in Medical Office Administration and Court Reporting, and an AOS degree in Paralegal Studies. Both the degree and certificate programs offer a comprehensive course of study. For the convenience of students, both day and evening classes are offered for all programs. Classes are also generally available on Saturdays. New York Career Institute is the only college in New York City that awards an Associate degree in Court Reporting, as well as Office Sciences and Paralegal Studies. High school seniors making a first-time career choice and adults looking to retrain are offered a unique combination of theory and hands-on training that teaches not only "why" but "how," while successfully preparing graduates for immediate employment. Most important, a faculty comprised of registered court reporters, practicing attorneys and medical specialists is there to guide students toward careers as Court Reporters, Legal Assistants and Medical Office Professionals. New York Career Institute is accredited by the New York State Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education, a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
The nearest community college to New York Career Institute is CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College (0.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 26,506 students | 0.40 Mi199 Chambers St
New York,  NY  10007
(212) 220-8000 0.4026,506
- n/a students | 0.50 Mi408 Broadway 2nd Floor
New York,  NY  10013
(212) 226-7300 0.50n/a
- 17,269 students | 1.60 Mi300 Jay St
Brooklyn,  NY  11201
(718) 260-5500 1.6017,269
- 4,356 students | 1.90 Mi81 Willoughby Street
Brooklyn,  NY  11201
(718) 522-9073 1.904,356
- 8,767 students | 2.50 Mi227 W 27th St
New York,  NY  10001
(212) 217-7999 2.508,767
Learn about how the failure of the American auto industry, along with President Obama's education initiatives, will translate into increased enrollment in community college campuses.
Learn about a new option students are using to finance their community college education: savings-matching programs.
As tuition rates at community colleges increase nationwide, we share options in financial aid and other tips to make the college experience more affordable, including what the government has proposed to keep community college affordable.