North Idaho College
Tel: (208) 769-3311
North Idaho College Photo #2 - NIC has a stunning campus and landscaping, which adds to its lakeside beauty. NIC is honored annually as a Tree Campus USA by the Arbor Day Foundation.
North Idaho College Photo #3 - NIC's Yap-Keehn-Um beach is situated along Lake Coeur d'Alene and Spokane River. It offers beach rentals, a dock, sand volleyball courts, and lots of room for fun in the sun.
North Idaho College Photo #4 - North Idaho College sits on land that has a rich history. From the time when the Coeur d'Alene Tribe used these lands as a gathering place, through the U.S. Army's use of the pristine land for a fort, through the current use as an educational facility, this special place on the shores of Lake Coeur d'Alene.
North Idaho College Photo #5 - Christianson gymnasium is the home of the NIC Cardinals. NIC offers basketball, soccer, golf, wrestling, volleyball, softball, and cheerleading.
North Idaho College Photo #6 - The state-of-the-art Meyer Health and Sciences Building is home to NIC's Health Professions, Nursing Division, and Natural Sciences Division. Its amenities include simulation labs, an virtual anatomatage table, and radiography C-Arm.
North Idaho College Photo #7 - NIC is one of the few community colleges nationwide that offer campus housing. The Residence Hall, opened for occupancy in September 2002, provides modern, comfortable accommodations for 198 students.
North Idaho College Photo #8 - The Schuler Performing Arts Center located in Boswell Hall, is home to NIC music and theatre performances as well as many community and touring events.
North Idaho College Photo #9 - NIC's Student Wellness and Recreation (SWRC) offers programs to the NIC campus community through three programs; Group Fitness, Outdoor Pursuits, and Recreational Sports. Access to the SWRC is included in full-time student fees.
- Founded in 1933, North Idaho College is a comprehensive community college located on the beautiful shores of Lake Coeur Alene. NIC offers more than 80 degrees and certificates in a wide spectrum of academic transfer, professional-technical, and general education programs to more than 4,856 credit students and 7,595 non-credit students each year.
- The teacher population of 265 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|North Idaho College||(ID) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Less than 2 yrs|
|Total Faculty||265 staff||265 staff|
|Total Enrollment||6,049 students||5,032 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||23:1||31:1|
|# Full-Time Students||3,068 students||2,051 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,981 students||2,981 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||189||544|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$33,900||$30,000|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball, WrestlingBasketball, Cheering,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
American Indian Student Alliance, Aspiring Artists Club, Business Professionals of America, Cardinal Geology Club, Computer Science and Technology Club, LDSSA - Institute Club, NIC Student Nurses Association, Phi Theta Kappa, Publications Club, Theater Club, TRiO Club, Veterans Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Cardinal Chamber Ensemble, Cardinal Choral, Cardinal Pep Band, Cardinal Singers, Cardinal Voices, NIC Jazz Band, Theatre program - Open Calls, Wind Symphony
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Climbing Wall, Group Fitness Program, Outdoor Pursuits, Rec Sports Team Sports/Activities, Student Wellness & Recreation Center
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Founded in 1933, North Idaho College is a comprehensive community college located on the beautiful shores of Lake Coeur d'Alene.
- NIC offers more than 80 degrees and certificates in a wide spectrum of academic transfer, professional-technical, and general education programs. Approximately 4,856 students are enrolled in credit classes and more than 7,595 participate annually in non-credit courses. NIC operates with an open-door admissions policy to meet the needs of individuals with divergent interests and abilities. NIC also plays a key role in economic development by preparing competent, trained employees for area businesses, industries, and governmental agencies.
- NIC's five-county service area spans more than 7,000 square miles. The college serves this vast region through outreach centers in Bonners Ferry, Kellogg, and Ponderay, as well as through an extensive array of Internet and interactive video conferencing courses. As one of three community colleges in the state, North Idaho College works to provide a variety of career pathways for students from fast-paced, one-credit classes to certificates and transfer degrees.
- NIC works closely with the University of Idaho, Lewis-Clark State College, Idaho State University, and Boise State University to provide transfer options for students. NIC offers a variety of student government and club opportunities for students with a wide range of interests and is known nationally for its competitive athletics programs.
- NIC is located amid the four-season beauty of North Idaho's world-famous recreation area. Outdoor activities include skiing, hiking, hunting, boating, fishing, backpacking, camping, swimming, and the ever-popular studying on the beach.
- NIC's campus lies within the city limits of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, a lakeside city with a growing population of 38,388 residents. Metropolitan amenities are close by with Spokane, Washington, a city of 195,695, just 30 minutes away and a Spokane - Coeur d'Alene metropolitan area of more than 700,000.
Profile last updated:
- The nearest community college to North Idaho College is Spokane Community College (26.1 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 9,974 students | 26.10 Mi1810 North Greene Street
Spokane,  WA  99217
(509) 533-8020 26.109,974
- 91 students | 29.80 MiS 178 Stevens
Spokane,  WA  99201
(509) 467-1727 29.8091
- 5,970 students | 31.30 Mi3410 W Fort George Wright Dr
Spokane,  WA  99224
(509) 533-3500 31.305,970
- 2,216 students | 120.40 Mi777 Grandview Dr
Kalispell,  MT  59901
(800) 313-3822 120.402,216
- 2,016 students | 123.10 Mi7662 Chanute St NE
Moses Lake,  WA  98837
(509) 793-2222 123.102,016
Learn about how budgetary constraints are prompting community colleges to only offer four-day school weeks.
Learn about how you can pursue a degree and career in the entertainment industry by starting at your local community college.
Learn about the variety of mentoring programs available in community colleges, and why you may want to be involved as a mentee or mentor.