Great Basin College
- The mission of Great Basin College is to provide superior, student-centered, post-secondary education in central and northeastern Nevada. We provide five types of educational opportunities: university transfer courses, occupational and technical studies, developmental courses, community education and selected baccalaureate programs, along with student support services and special business-education partnerships.
Great Basin College ranks among the top 20% of community colleges in Nevada for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
|Great Basin College||(NV) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate/Associate's Colleges: Mixed Baccalaureate/Associate's||Baccalaureate/Associate's Colleges: Associate's Dominant|
|Institution Level||Four or more years||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Public||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||103 staff||38 staff|
- Founded in 1967, Elkoans bootstrapped a community college, the state's first. Its founders, who called themselves the "Yo Yo Club" because of the ups and downs of the project, had rallied townspeople to the cause. A stir for a technical college had begun in the early 1960s. Fred Harris and Mark Chilton offered land in 1962 on the Mountain City Highway to the university regents for a campus. But the regents, amused, focused on surging Southern Nevada, which was to become the University of Nevada-Las Vegas in 1968. Our occupational and technical studies are developed to meet the demands of the local economy. Our programs lead to immediate and meaningful employment for our students. For the employer, we provide short- and long-range training programs that create a productive workforce that knows how to learn and to work in harmony with others. Elizabeth Griswold Hall, the College's newest residential hall, has opened its doors to students. Griswold Hall is another convenient option for new and continuing students. This hall is fully outfitted with high-speed Internet connections, a game room, group and individual study nooks, laundry rooms, and kitchen facilities. The Residence Suites on campus also offer apartment style living for individual and family students. Great Basin College is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. GBC is a member college of the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 7,585 students | 137.00 Mi315 Falls Ave.
Twin Falls, ID 83301
(208) 733-9554 137.007,585
- 428 students | 193.20 Mi1122 N. Liberty St.
Boise, ID 83704
(208) 377-8080 193.20428
- 10,277 students | 195.10 Mi5500 East Opportunity Drive
Nampa, ID 83687
(208) 562-3000 195.1010,277
- 136 students | 198.60 Mi915 N 400 W
Layton, UT 84041
(801) 546-7500 198.60136
- 200 students | 200.40 Mi1350 W. 1890 S.
West Haven, UT 84401
(801) 392-1471 200.40200