Great Basin College
- The mission of Great Basin College is to provide superior, student-centered, post-secondary education in central and northeastern Nevada. We provide five types of educational opportunities: university transfer courses, occupational and technical studies, developmental courses, community education and selected baccalaureate programs, along with student support services and special business-education partnerships.
- The teacher population of 103 teachers has declined by 19% over five years.
|Great Basin College||(NV) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||Four or more years||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Institution Control||Public||Private, for profit|
|Total Faculty||103 staff||38 staff|
|Total Enrollment||3,024 students||3,024 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||29:1||37:1|
|# Full-Time Students||919 students||919 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,105 students||2,105 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||905 students||905 students|
|# Graduate Students||14 students||14 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||143||143|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|Diversity ScoreThe chance that two students selected at random would be members of a different ethnic group. Scored from 0 to 1, a diversity score closer to 1 indicates a more diverse student body.||0.47||0.70|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$37,800||$32,800|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Founded in 1967, Elkoans bootstrapped a community college, the state's first. Its founders, who called themselves the "Yo Yo Club" because of the ups and downs of the project, had rallied townspeople to the cause. A stir for a technical college had begun in the early 1960s. Fred Harris and Mark Chilton offered land in 1962 on the Mountain City Highway to the university regents for a campus. But the regents, amused, focused on surging Southern Nevada, which was to become the University of Nevada-Las Vegas in 1968. Our occupational and technical studies are developed to meet the demands of the local economy. Our programs lead to immediate and meaningful employment for our students. For the employer, we provide short- and long-range training programs that create a productive workforce that knows how to learn and to work in harmony with others. Elizabeth Griswold Hall, the College's newest residential hall, has opened its doors to students. Griswold Hall is another convenient option for new and continuing students. This hall is fully outfitted with high-speed Internet connections, a game room, group and individual study nooks, laundry rooms, and kitchen facilities. The Residence Suites on campus also offer apartment style living for individual and family students. Great Basin College is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. GBC is a member college of the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 7,021 students | 137.60 Mi315 Falls Ave.
Twin Falls,  ID  83301
- 356 students | 191.80 Mi9050 W Overland Rd, Ste 101
Boise,  ID  83709
- 494 students | 193.20 Mi1122 North Liberty Street
Boise,  ID  83704
- 10,217 students | 195.10 Mi5500 East Opportunity Drive
Nampa,  ID  83687
- 321 students | 197.50 Mi1350 W. 1890 S.
Ogden,  UT  84401
October 09, 2017
Forget the degree! Many community college students are landing good jobs with just a community college professional certificate.
October 07, 2017
October 07, 2017
Learn tips on how to support your child during during their transition to community college.