Community College News
- What are the Biggest Issues Facing Community Colleges Today? New Study has Answers
- Arizona Community Colleges Defunded: What Students Need to Know
- First Ever National Community College Survey: The Surprising Results!
- North Carolina Community Colleges: Pioneering Increased Enrollment and Early Graduation Rates
- Who Will Lead Community Colleges into the Future?
Just How Similar?
The American Association of Community Colleges recently released a brief titled, "Just How Similar? Community Colleges and the For-Profit Sector." The study focuses on the fundamental differences between community and for-profit colleges that makes it difficult to compare the two types of institutions according to the criteria that have been used recently. According to a press release on PR Newswire, while the post-secondary institutions may offer a number of common programs, that tends to be where the similarities end. These institutions serve a widely different population, which results in different outcomes and success rates overall.
- Community colleges are not living up to their expectations in terms of course availability, relevance of coursework and schedule flexibility.
- The colleges are not providing high quality education in their academic offerings.
- Many students leave community colleges due to family issues, lack of availability of courses and concerns about the quality of education.
What the Numbers Show
According to a report on Google News, the Associated Press and Stanford University conducted a poll to find out what Americans' attitudes were toward community college. The poll found that the vast majority of Americans (71%) believe it is advantageous for some students to attend a community college, rather than a four-year institution. Nearly the same number polled agreed that an education received from a community college is "excellent" or "good."
- Broward College
- Florida State College at Jacksonville
- Northwest Florida State College
- Pensacola State College
- South Florida Community College
- Tallahassee Community College
These six colleges were affected