- South Georgia State College (SGSC) was created by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia on January 8, 2013, from the consolidation of Waycross College and South Georgia College in Douglas. The College, is a student-centered institution of higher education committed to instructional excellence. The college provides accessible, affordable, high quality educational opportunities for all southeast Georgians in a diverse and dynamic campus environment through a comprehensive range of programs and services.
|Waycross College||(GA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 years but < 4 years|
|Total Faculty||- staff||94 staff|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid||96%||93%|
|Median Debt for Graduates||$8,950||$9,775|
|Median Debt for Dropouts||$4,250||$4,490|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The College, a two-year unit of the University System of Georgia, exists to provide programs of higher education for citizens of the immediate and surrounding communities. The College's philosophy is to provide opportunities for those who need special preparation for regular college-level courses, while giving well-prepared students immediate access to transfer courses that can be applied toward advanced study appropriate to their academic goals. Waycross College is located on South Georgia Parkway at Augusta Avenue in Ware County, Georgia, within the city limits of Waycross. The campus is located on a tract of approximately 150 acres of beautifully wooded land which includes two small lakes, a parcourse, and an attractive, convenient area to be developed for recreational use, including an outdoor amphitheater and an outdoor classroom area. The campus abounds with flora native to Southeast Georgia, including an abundance of wild flowers, palmetto palms, slash pines, and other attractive plants and trees. Our newest addition to the College campus is the James M. Dye Student Services Building which houses the offices of Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Records, Student Services, the Bookstore, the Swamp Fox Cafe, the Game Room and the President's Dining Room. The College attempts to provide a wide range of enjoyable and satisfying experiences calculated to contribute to one's intellectual objectives and personal interests and aptitudes. Concerts, recitals, special lectures, independent study, meaningful physical activities, club activities, social events, cultural exhibits, and intercollegiate athletics are provided on a regular basis. The College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate of Arts Degree, the Associate of Science Degree, and the Associate of Applied Science Degree. Waycross College has been approved to offer College Athletics. The first sport will be men's basketball which will begin in the Fall of 2009. The second sport will be Women's Fast Pitch Softball which will begin in the Spring of 2010 followed by Women's basketball in the 2011
The nearest community college to Waycross College is Coastal Pines Technical College (0.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,467 students | 0.70 Mi1701 Carswell Ave
Waycross,  GA  31503
(912) 287-5818 0.703,467
- 2,482 students | 33.70 Mi100 W College Park Dr
Douglas,  GA  31533
(912) 260-4200 33.702,482
- 3,546 students | 53.10 MiOne College Drive
Brunswick,  GA  31520
(912) 279-5700 53.103,546
- n/a students | 56.00 Mi4201 North Forrest Street
Valdosta,  GA  31605
- n/a students | 60.10 Mi667 Perry House Rd
Fitzgerald,  GA  31750
(229) 468-2000 60.10n/a
Learn about how the failure of the American auto industry, along with President Obama's education initiatives, will translate into increased enrollment in community college campuses.
Learn about a new option students are using to finance their community college education: savings-matching programs.
As tuition rates at community colleges increase nationwide, we share options in financial aid and other tips to make the college experience more affordable, including what the government has proposed to keep community college affordable.