South Georgia State College
- Founded in 1906, South Georgia College is recognized as the oldest publicly supported two-year college in Georgia. It has a long and distinguished history, rich in the tradition of serving the people of the southeast. SGC is fully accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- The teacher population of 73 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|South Georgia State College||(GA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||Four or more years||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||73 staff||94 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,611 students||2,588 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||36:1||27:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,778 students||1,115 students|
|# Part-Time Students||833 students||1,473 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||544||461|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$35,200||$29,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The College offers Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degree programs that prepare students for transfer in a multitude of baccalaureate program majors.The institution also offers Associate of Applied Science degrees and certificates designed to prepare individuals for careers in several areas of business, human services and technology. Through its Associate of Science in Nursing degree program the College prepares individuals to become registered nurses and thereby meet regional health care needs.As a contributing member of its community, South Georgia College offers area citizens conferences, seminars, and short courses to develop specific competencies and provide information on special interest topics. The institution and its faculty and staff also work to support regional economic development efforts in cooperation with other community-minded organizations.Indoor recreational and student activities facilities are centered at the Engram College Union Building and the SGC Wellness Center. The Engram College Union houses meeting rooms, a cafe, ballroom, and areas for a variety of student activities. The Wellness Center provides for such sports as volleyball, basketball, swimming, and weight lifting.The South Georgia College Entry Program is a university entry program located on the campus of Valdosta State University. It allows students to complete all developmental studies and college preparatory curriculum deficiencies, plus core college courses, in order to enter the university as a sophomore. All core classes transfer to Valdosta State University.South Georgia College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to offer associate degrees. It is also accredited by the National League for Nursing. Credits earned at the College are accepted by colleges and universities throughout the nation.
- The nearest community college to South Georgia State College is Wiregrass Georgia Technical College (27.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- n/a students | 27.90 Mi667 Perry House Rd
Fitzgerald,  GA  31750
- n/a students | 33.80 Mi2001 S Georgia Pky
Waycross,  GA  31503
- 3,458 students | 39.70 Mi2802 Moore Hwy
Tifton,  GA  31793
- n/a students | 48.30 Mi4201 North Forrest Street
Valdosta,  GA  31605
- 3,629 students | 51.40 Mi4089 Val Tech Rd
Valdosta,  GA  31602
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.