South Georgia State College
Tel: (912) 260-4200
- Founded in 1906, South Georgia College is recognized as the oldest publicly supported two-year college in Georgia. It has a long and distinguished history, rich in the tradition of serving the people of the southeast. SGC is fully accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
The teacher population of 73 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|South Georgia State College||(GA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||Four or more years||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||73 staff||94 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The College offers Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degree programs that prepare students for transfer in a multitude of baccalaureate program majors.The institution also offers Associate of Applied Science degrees and certificates designed to prepare individuals for careers in several areas of business, human services and technology. Through its Associate of Science in Nursing degree program the College prepares individuals to become registered nurses and thereby meet regional health care needs.As a contributing member of its community, South Georgia College offers area citizens conferences, seminars, and short courses to develop specific competencies and provide information on special interest topics. The institution and its faculty and staff also work to support regional economic development efforts in cooperation with other community-minded organizations.Indoor recreational and student activities facilities are centered at the Engram College Union Building and the SGC Wellness Center. The Engram College Union houses meeting rooms, a cafe, ballroom, and areas for a variety of student activities. The Wellness Center provides for such sports as volleyball, basketball, swimming, and weight lifting.The South Georgia College Entry Program is a university entry program located on the campus of Valdosta State University. It allows students to complete all developmental studies and college preparatory curriculum deficiencies, plus core college courses, in order to enter the university as a sophomore. All core classes transfer to Valdosta State University.South Georgia College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to offer associate degrees. It is also accredited by the National League for Nursing. Credits earned at the College are accepted by colleges and universities throughout the nation.
The nearest community college to South Georgia State College is Wiregrass Georgia Technical College (26.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- n/a students | 26.70 Mi667 Perry House Rd
Fitzgerald,  GA  31750
(229) 468-2000 26.70n/a
- n/a students | 33.70 Mi2001 S Georgia Pky
Waycross,  GA  31503
(912) 449-7600 33.70n/a
- 3,458 students | 39.40 Mi2802 Moore Hwy
Tifton,  GA  31793
(229) 391-5001 39.403,458
- n/a students | 48.30 Mi4201 North Forrest Street
Valdosta,  GA  31605
- 3,629 students | 51.50 Mi4089 Val Tech Rd
Valdosta,  GA  31602
(229) 333-2100 51.503,629
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!