- Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University System, seeks to provide a quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates and associate degrees; and, offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.
Southern University at Shreveport serves 3,013 students (44% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 11:1 is lower than the state community college average of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 93% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the state average of 55%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 3,013 students
- In-state tuition: $3,634
- Out-state tuition: $3,634
- Student:teacher ratio: 11:1
- Minority enrollment: 93%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Southern University at Shreveport ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Louisiana for:
The teacher population of 273 teachers has grown by 178% over five years.
Southern University at Shreveport
(LA) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 years but < 4 years
The student population of Southern University at Shreveport has stayed relatively flat over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 11:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Southern University at Shreveport diversity score of 0.29 is less than the state average of 0.68. The school's diversity has grown by 75% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $3,634 is more than the state average of $2,971. The in-state tuition has declined by 13% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $3,634 is less than the state average of $6,101. The out-state tuition has declined by 51% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- In 1967, Southern University at Shreveport made its humble beginnings here, on what is now called the Martin Luther King, Jr. Campus. From the beginning, the priority has been to aid people from diverse backgrounds to improve the quality of their lives and become contributing participants in this community's cultural and economic development. As the needs of the Shreveport/Bossier City metropolitan area have changed over the years, so has the Southern University at Shreveport campus and its role as an active participant in raising the level of excellence for the community. Southern University at Shreveport offers a wide array of courses designed to facilitate admission to four-year senior institutions, address the needs of the work force development community, upgrade your skills in the latest trends in business and industry through credit and non-credit courses, provide short-range training programs designed for the working professional, or simply enhance your learning for the joy of it. Southern University has two additional locations to serve the educational needs of the community: the Downtown Metro Center providing state-of-the-art allied health programs, and the Aerospace Technology Center that houses the FAA-approved Aerospace Technology and Maintenance programs. We also offer nationally recognized programs in Nursing, Radiologic Technology and Dental Hygiene. Couple the multitude of academic, social and personal services offered by the University with the beautiful scenery unique to the Martin Luther King Campus, and you have an educational environment that is beyond comparison. Southern University at Shreveport is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Southern University at Shreveport cost?
Southern University at Shreveport's tuition is approximately $3,634 for In-State students and $3,634 for Out-State students.
What is Southern University at Shreveport's ranking?
Southern University at Shreveport ranks among the top 20% of community college in Louisiana for: Percent of students receiving financial aid and Largest student body.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.