Southern University at Shreveport
- Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University System, seeks to provide a quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates and associate degrees; and, offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.
Southern University at Shreveport places among the top 20% of community colleges in Louisiana for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body
- The teacher population of 98 teachers has declined by 37% over five years.
|Southern University at Shreveport||(LA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||98 staff||26 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,952 students||1,493 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||30:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||2,046 students||382 students|
|# Part-Time Students||906 students||1,111 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||240||240|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$26,300||$28,200|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- In 1967, Southern University at Shreveport made its humble beginnings here, on what is now called the Martin Luther King, Jr. Campus. From the beginning, the priority has been to aid people from diverse backgrounds to improve the quality of their lives and become contributing participants in this community's cultural and economic development. As the needs of the Shreveport/Bossier City metropolitan area have changed over the years, so has the Southern University at Shreveport campus and its role as an active participant in raising the level of excellence for the community. Southern University at Shreveport offers a wide array of courses designed to facilitate admission to four-year senior institutions, address the needs of the work force development community, upgrade your skills in the latest trends in business and industry through credit and non-credit courses, provide short-range training programs designed for the working professional, or simply enhance your learning for the joy of it. Southern University has two additional locations to serve the educational needs of the community: the Downtown Metro Center providing state-of-the-art allied health programs, and the Aerospace Technology Center that houses the FAA-approved Aerospace Technology and Maintenance programs. We also offer nationally recognized programs in Nursing, Radiologic Technology and Dental Hygiene. Couple the multitude of academic, social and personal services offered by the University with the beautiful scenery unique to the Martin Luther King Campus, and you have an educational environment that is beyond comparison. Southern University at Shreveport is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees.
- The nearest community college to Southern University at Shreveport is Northwest Louisiana Technical College-Shreveport Campus (3.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 353 students | 3.40 Mi2010 N Market St
Shreveport,  LA  71107
- 303 students | 8.70 Mi1227 Shreveport-Barksdale Hwy
Shreveport,  LA  71105
- 291 students | 10.40 Mi2106 Bert Kouns Industrial Loop
Shreveport,  LA  71118
- 253 students | 10.80 Mi8731 Park Plaza Drive
Shreveport,  LA  71105
- 8,693 students | 11.00 Mi6220 East Texas
Bossier City,  LA  71111
Although Governor Jan Brewer vetoed the bill last year, Arizona lawmakers plan to introduce a new bill allowing guns on college campuses in 2012
Learn about why more students are attending community college classes with their parents.
Learn how to evaluate colleges based on accreditation, and why it's important.