Northeastern Junior College Photo #2 - A.J. Wilson slam dunk during the Bank of Colorado Shootout. NJC''''s athletic teams are consistently in the top 20 in the NJCAA.
Northeastern Junior College Photo #3 - The NJC Volleyball team finished the 2008 season 33-12. They are consistently ranked in the top 20.
Northeastern Junior College Photo #4 - The NJC women''''s basketball team has started the 2008-2009 season 11-1 and ranked 15th in the nation.
Northeastern Junior College Photo #5 - NJC finished the 2008 spring season with a 36-10 record and ranked 14th in the nation.
Northeastern Junior College Photo #6 - With an average class size of 22 students at Northeastern have a chance to get individual attention from their instructors.
- Northeastern Junior College is the largest residential two-year college campus in the state. It is located on the high plains of Northeastern Colorado. Approximately 65% of full time traditional age students enrolled are in transfer programs and 35% are pursuing career/technical cetificates/degrees.
Northeastern Junior College serves 1,293 students (54% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 8:1 is lower than the state community college average of 14:1.
Minority enrollment is 31% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the state average of 43%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 1,293 students
- In-state tuition: $3,394
- Out-state tuition: $4,892
- Student:teacher ratio: 8:1
- Minority enrollment: 31%
- Source: Verified school update
Northeastern Junior College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Colorado for:
The teacher population of 167 teachers has grown by 160% over five years.
Northeastern Junior College
(CO) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs
The student population of Northeastern Junior College has declined by 16% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 8:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Northeastern Junior College diversity score of 0.50 is less than the state average of 0.62. The school's diversity has grown by 5% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $3,394 is less than the state average of $3,735. The in-state tuition has declined by 31% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $4,892 is less than the state average of $10,371. The out-state tuition has declined by 31% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- Northeastern Junior College, located in Sterling, Colorado, was established in 1941 and is Colorado's largest 2-year residential college. We are located in northeastern Colorado about 125 miles from Denver. At NJC, our students have the best of both worlds. They can take advantage of over 80 programs of study while enjoying small classes, individual instructor attention and the complete college experience. Each year, Northeastern's enrollment is approximately 4,000 learners. NJC has between a 1,000 and 1,100 full-time traditional age students (ages 17-22) who are enrolled full-time on our campus with 12 or more credit hours. NJC also serves approximately 3,000 part-time learners each year. Students attend Northeastern from many areas! On average we have traditional age students on campus from over 90% of the 63 counties in Colorado; from approximately 20 different states and several foreign countries. Northeastern Junior College is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Northeastern Junior College cost?
Northeastern Junior College's tuition is approximately $3,394 for In-State students and $4,892 for Out-State students.
What is Northeastern Junior College's ranking?
Northeastern Junior College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Colorado for: Least expensive tuition and Percent of students receiving financial aid.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.