- Laney College, in the heart of vibrant, multicultural downtown Oakland, features the cosmopolitan atmosphere and human energy of a big-city university. Across the street from the Oakland Museum of California, blocks from historic Chinatown, and a pleasant stroll from both Lake Merritt and the Oakland Estuary, Laney gives its 12,000-plus students ready access to the city's formidable intellectual, cultural, and natural resources. With renowned programs in such fields as Journalism, Culinary Arts, Mathematics, Machine Technology, and Ethnic Studies, Laney has been a leader in academic and vocational education for decades. A talented faculty and dedicated staff, not to mention a new state-of-the-art technology center, ensure that Laney will remain at the forefront of Information Age community education for years to come.
- Enrollment: 10,424 students
- In-state tuition: $1,144
- Out-state tuition: $6,256
- Student:teacher ratio: 29:1
- Minority enrollment: 86%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Laney is the largest of the four colleges (13,000 students) in the Peralta Community College District, which serves the six cities of Northern Alameda County (Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland and Piedmont). Ours is a unique institution, and we are fiercely proud of its long history and ongoing commitment to service. A crucial part of that commitment is ensuring the quality of your education as well as your overall campus experience. Our success, after all, is inseparable from yours and student learning is our first priority. The Laney college campus, which opened in 1970, is a vibrant and safe environment in a central location in downtown Oakland on 60 acres of land. Laney is across the street from the Oakland Museum and the Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center. We are also one block from the Lake Merritt Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) station and two blocks from the Alameda County Courthouse and beautiful Lake Merritt. The campus is in walking distance to Oakland's Chinatown and is easily accessible to the famous Jack London Square Laney is well known for its outstanding student newspaper, the Laney Tower; its Transfer Opportunity Center; and its array of quality academic and occupational course offerings. In addition, Associate degrees are offered in more than twenty (20) Liberal Arts and Science fields. Laney transfers more students per year to UC Berkeley than any other college of its size in the United States. Many other Laney students transfer to California State University campuses, local and out-of-state independent institutions and historically black colleges and universities. The faculty and staff are our campus' greatest asset. Laney's wonderful diversity, set in the midst of a lively urban center, makes it particularly wealthy in human potential.Laney is a vibrant campus with a comprehensive educational offering, where students are challenged and inspired to actualize their highest potential.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Laney College cost?
Laney College's tuition is approximately $1,144 for In-State students and $6,256 for Out-State students.
What is Laney College's ranking?
Laney College ranks among the top 20% of community college in California for: Diversity in US community colleges.