- Laney College, in the heart of vibrant, multicultural downtown Oakland, features the cosmopolitan atmosphere and human energy of a big-city university. Across the street from the Oakland Museum of California, blocks from historic Chinatown, and a pleasant stroll from both Lake Merritt and the Oakland Estuary, Laney gives its 12,000-plus students ready access to the city's formidable intellectual, cultural, and natural resources. With renowned programs in such fields as Journalism, Culinary Arts, Mathematics, Machine Technology, and Ethnic Studies, Laney has been a leader in academic and vocational education for decades. A talented faculty and dedicated staff, not to mention a new state-of-the-art technology center, ensure that Laney will remain at the forefront of Information Age community education for years to come.
- The teacher population of 231 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Laney College||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||231 staff||97 staff|
|Total Enrollment||10,548 students||7,516 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||46:1||44:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,821 students||1,613 students|
|# Part-Time Students||8,727 students||5,903 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$33,700||$34,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Laney is the largest of the four colleges (13,000 students) in the Peralta Community College District, which serves the six cities of Northern Alameda County (Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland and Piedmont). Ours is a unique institution, and we are fiercely proud of its long history and ongoing commitment to service. A crucial part of that commitment is ensuring the quality of your education as well as your overall campus experience. Our success, after all, is inseparable from yours and student learning is our first priority. The Laney college campus, which opened in 1970, is a vibrant and safe environment in a central location in downtown Oakland on 60 acres of land. Laney is across the street from the Oakland Museum and the Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center. We are also one block from the Lake Merritt Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) station and two blocks from the Alameda County Courthouse and beautiful Lake Merritt. The campus is in walking distance to Oakland's Chinatown and is easily accessible to the famous Jack London Square Laney is well known for its outstanding student newspaper, the Laney Tower; its Transfer Opportunity Center; and its array of quality academic and occupational course offerings. In addition, Associate degrees are offered in more than twenty (20) Liberal Arts and Science fields. Laney transfers more students per year to UC Berkeley than any other college of its size in the United States. Many other Laney students transfer to California State University campuses, local and out-of-state independent institutions and historically black colleges and universities. The faculty and staff are our campus' greatest asset. Laney's wonderful diversity, set in the midst of a lively urban center, makes it particularly wealthy in human potential.Laney is a vibrant campus with a comprehensive educational offering, where students are challenged and inspired to actualize their highest potential.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 5,712 students | 1.60 Mi555 Ralph Appezzato Memorial Pky
Alameda,  CA  94501
(510) 522-7221 1.605,712
- 6,321 students | 5.10 Mi2050 Center Sreet
Berkeley,  CA  94704
(510) 981-2800 5.106,321
- 6,574 students | 5.10 Mi12500 Campus Dr
Oakland,  CA  94619
(510) 531-4911 5.106,574
- 527 students | 8.00 Mi55 Stockton St
San Francisco,  CA  94108
(415) 675-5200 8.00527
- 442 students | 8.00 Mi350 Rhode Island Street
San Francisco,  CA  94103
(415) 216-4416 8.00442
Learn about how budgetary constraints are prompting community colleges to only offer four-day school weeks.
Learn about how you can pursue a degree and career in the entertainment industry by starting at your local community college.
Learn about the variety of mentoring programs available in community colleges, and why you may want to be involved as a mentee or mentor.