- The mission of Merritt College is to enhance the quality of life in the communities we serve by helping students to attain knowledge, master skills, develop the appreciation, attitudes and values needed to succeed and participate responsibly in a democratic society.
- The teacher population of 129 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Merritt College||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||129 staff||97 staff|
|Total Enrollment||6,574 students||7,516 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||51:1||44:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,908 students||1,613 students|
|# Part-Time Students||4,643 students||5,903 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||-|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$39,700||$34,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Merritt College and academic tradition are synonymous. Its over 40-year tradition of academic excellence is prominently manifested in its distinguished alumni and faculty who taught them. Annually, four-year colleges and universities across the state are eager recipients of Merritt transfer students from medicine and law, to art and science. Always the community college innovator, Merritt boasts many unique occupational programs such as its much touted nursing and health professions, community social services/substance abuse counselor, environmental hazardous materials technology, computer information systems, landscape horticulture and environmental management, paralegal studies and restoration technology. There are many benefits that make Merritt the first choice of over 6,000 students each semester. Merritt cares. You can be assured of small classes, caring faculty, friendly admissions staff, and first class support services. Merritt has a great location. The campus is nestled in the scenic Oakland hills with a panoramic view of the San Francisco Bay out through the Golden Gate. A safe, clean, cheerful environment awaits your ascent to Merritt's opportunities. Merritt has a wide array of excellent courses taught by very caring and knowledgeable faculty. Our professional staff is eager to help you develop an educational plan which will make your dreams become a reality. Merritt has a wide range of services and resources provided by friendly, helpful, and devoted professional staff. The entire Merritt College family is committed to contributing to your success as a student. Merritt college has a rich cultural diversity of students from many ethnic groups which provides a positive and enriching learning environment.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 10,548 students | 5.20 Mi900 Fallon Sreet
Oakland,  CA  94607
- 5,712 students | 6.10 Mi555 Ralph Appezzato Memorial Pky
Alameda,  CA  94501
- 509 students | 6.70 Mi15555 E. 14th Street, Suite 500
San Leandro,  CA  94578
- 6,321 students | 7.80 Mi2050 Center Sreet
Berkeley,  CA  94704
- 13,047 students | 11.10 Mi25555 Hesperian Blvd
Hayward,  CA  94545
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.