- Located just outside of Seattle, WA, Lake Washington Institute of Technology (LWTech) was founded in 1949, and is the only public institute of technology in the state of Washington. LWTech offers six bachelor`s degrees, 47 associate degrees, and 89 professional certificates in 44 areas of study, including STEM-focused programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
- LWTech directly serves the communities of Kirkland, Redmond, Bellevue, Kenmore, Mercer Island, Bothell, Woodinville, Carnation, Duvall, North Bend, Fall City, Sammamish, Issaquah, Snoqualmie, Skykomish, Clyde Hill, and Medina. LWTech also serves students from outside our service area, as well as students from around the world
Lake Washington Institute of Technology serves 3,620 students (49% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 12:1 is higher than the state community college average of 11:1.
Minority enrollment is 49% of the student body (majority Asian and Hispanic), which is less than the state average of 50%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 3,620 students
- Student:teacher ratio: 12:1
- Minority enrollment: 49%
- Source: Verified school update
Lake Washington Institute of Technology ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Washington for:
The teacher population of 303 teachers has grown by 121% over five years.
Lake Washington Institute of Technology
(WA) Community College Avg.
Baccalaureate/Associate's Colleges: Associate's Dominant
Less than 2 yrs
Four or more years
The student population of Lake Washington Institute of Technology has stayed relatively flat over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 12:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Lake Washington Institute of Technology diversity score of 0.72 is more than the state average of 0.71. The school's diversity has grown by 5% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- Lake Washington Institute of Technology, in Kirkland's Totem Lake area, serves local students from King and Snohomish counties, commuter students from areas like Port Townsend, Gig Harbor and Marysville, and international students from around the globe, including Japan, Tonga, Ireland, Indonesia and the Ukraine. Lake Washington Institute of Technology officially became part of the new community and technical college system on September 1, 1991; the institute became a degree-granting technical college with all the rights and responsibilities of a technical college as prescribed by state law. During the next three years the college replaced its two-year diplomas with Associate of Applied Science degrees. Twenty Association of Applied Science degrees were approved by the State Board of Community and Technical Colleges to be offered to students by the college. LWTech offers the cutting-edge, professional career and technical training needed to rapidly and affordably qualify our students for opportunities in today's job market. With training opportunities in over 100 degree and certificate options in 39 programs, we have something for everyone - including some Bachelor degrees. Adult education programs are also offered. Lake Washington Institute of Technology is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
Profile last updated: 08/09/2022
Frequently Asked Questions
What schools are Lake Washington Institute of Technology often compared to?
Lake Washington Institute of Technologyis often viewed alongside schools like Bellevue College by visitors of our site.
What is Lake Washington Institute of Technology's ranking?
Lake Washington Institute of Technology ranks among the top 20% of community college in Washington for: Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation).
View the Lake Washington Institute of Technology yearly calendar below. Note key dates such as:
- Event Date
- Last Day to Withdraw from Classes May 31, 2023 (Wednesday)
- Last Day of Instruction of Spring Quarter June 14, 2023 (Wednesday)
- Last Day to Register Online July 04, 2023 (Tuesday)
- Last Day, Added From Waiting Lists July 04, 2023 (Tuesday)
- First Day of Instruction for Summer Quarter July 05, 2023 (Wednesday)
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.