- The mission of Eugenio María de Hostos Community College is to offer access to higher education leading to intellectual growth and socio-economic mobility through the development of linguistic, mathematical, technological, and critical thinking proficiencies needed for lifelong learning and for success in a variety of programs including careers, liberal arts, transfer, and those professional programs leading to licensure.
CUNY Hostos Community College serves 6,136 students (54% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 7:1 is lower than the state community college average of 10:1.
Minority enrollment is 98% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is more than the state average of 57%.
- Enrollment: 6,136 students
- In-state tuition: $4,855
- Out-state tuition: $7,555
- Student:teacher ratio: 7:1
- Minority enrollment: 98%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
The teacher population of 833 teachers has grown by 202% over five years.
CUNY Hostos Community College
(NY) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of CUNY Hostos Community College has declined by 14% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 7:1 has decreased from 9:1 over five years.
The CUNY Hostos Community College diversity score of 0.52 is less than the state average of 0.72. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,855 is less than the state average of $5,826. The in-state tuition has declined by 6% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $7,555 is less than the state average of $10,328. The out-state tuition has declined by 6% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- The College takes pride in its historical role in educating students from diverse ethnic, racial, cultural and linguistic backgrounds, particularly Hispanics and African Americans. An integral part of fulfilling its mission is to provide transitional language instruction for all English-as-a-Second-Language learners along with Spanish/English bilingual education offerings to foster a multicultural environment for all students. Hostos Community College, in addition to offering degree programs, is determined to be a resource to the South Bronx and other communities served by the College by providing continuing education, cultural events, and expertise for the further development of the communities it serves. Hostos Community College is a unique and intimate college that has experienced a very positive transformation within the past seven years. With new leadership at almost every level and a faculty dedicated to academic excellence, the College has created an intellectually rich environment with high standards. In addition to new academic programs, renovated facilities, and a new fitness center, the college has created a winning athletic program, significantly improved technology, and hired more full-time faculty with the highest degree in their fields. Hostos Community College is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York. The College offers career programs accredited by the New York State Education Department, the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology, and the American Dental Association. The Allied Health programs are accredited by the appropriate agencies, including the American Dental Association and the New York Department of Health.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does CUNY Hostos Community College cost?
CUNY Hostos Community College's tuition is approximately $4,855 for In-State students and $7,555 for Out-State students.
OSHA Training at Community College: Making Workplace Safety Easier
Businesses and prospective employees need to look no further than community colleges for valuable, certified, and affordable OSHA training.
Careers: Smart Grid Tecnology
The "smart grid" presents a myriad of opportunities for green collar jobs. Learn about the job prospects in the industry and how your local community college can provide you with the training to capitalize on this growing industry.
Careers: Culinary Training
Learn about highly acclaimed culinary programs at community colleges.