American National University
- American National University is dedicated to the training and educating of men and women for a full life and a successful career in a number of general and particular fields. The University seeks to give students a broad competency in a field of specialization and an understanding of and respect for their own and others` ideas and thoughts. Graduates of American National University should understand and practice their responsibilities to their families, their fellow men and their communities by becoming effective and contributing citizens.
Top Placements (Virginia)
Listed among the top community colleges in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- School Resources Percent of students receiving financial aid
- The teacher population of 113 teachers has declined by 38% over five years.
|American National University||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||4 or more years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, for profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||113 staff||45 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,337 students||1,577 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1||36:1|
|# Full-Time Students||539 students||717 students|
|# Part-Time Students||798 students||860 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||513 students||615 students|
|# Graduate Students||26 students||91 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$23,200||$29,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Founded in 1886 in Roanoke, Virginia, the college enrolls students at its 30+ campus locations in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, and Indiana. As a collegiate institution offering educational credentials from diplomas to master degrees, National strives to develop each student intellectually, culturally and socially. The University/College is interested in each individual becoming proficient in the disciplines necessary for his and her success, with the training necessary to be self-sufficient and enterprising and with the background necessary to be constantly expanding his or her intellectual and cultural horizons. Established in 1886 to provide Roanoke Valley citizens with training for business careers, and continues to build on its reputation among employers throughout Southwest Virginia. It is also the first National campus to offer a Masters course of study and the first to offer a Bachelors. The location is also home to the institution's main administrative offices. The Roanoke Valley Campus offers Master's Degree, Bachelor's Degrees, Associate's Degrees, Diploma Programs and Certification Programs. The institution is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools to award master's degrees, bachelor's degrees, associate degrees, and diplomas.
- The nearest community college to American National University is Virginia Western Community College (4.5 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 8,632 students | 4.50 Mi3093 Colonial Ave
Roanoke,  VA  24015
- 1,257 students | 36.60 Mi1000 Dabney Drive
Clifton Forge,  VA  24422
- 4,585 students | 39.40 Mi5251 College Drive
Dublin,  VA  24084
- 2,900 students | 39.60 Mi645 Patriot Avenue
Martinsville,  VA  24112
- 409 students | 44.10 Mi1011 Creekside Lane
Lynchburg,  VA  24502
We report on the recent increases in Stafford Loan Rates, which have led to some community colleges across the country discontinuing this option for financial aid.
Attending college is expensive but there are options for financing beyond just student loans. Keep reading to learn more.
College is expensive enough without the added cost of medical school on top of it. If you're on a pre-med track, consider taking some of your prerequisites at community college. Keep reading to learn more.