American National University Photo #2 - Salem Virginia Campus located in the beautiful Roanoke Valley.
- American National University is dedicated to the training and educating of men and women for a full life and a successful career in a number of general and particular fields. The University seeks to give students a broad competency in a field of specialization and an understanding of and respect for their own and others` ideas and thoughts. Graduates of American National University should understand and practice their responsibilities to their families, their fellow men and their communities by becoming effective and contributing citizens.
American National University serves 931 students (42% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is lower than the state community college average of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 65% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the state average of 48%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 931 students
- Private-state tuition: $11,550
- Student:teacher ratio: 16:1
- Minority enrollment: 65%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
American National University ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
The teacher population of 57 teachers has declined by 49% over five years.
American National University
(VA) Community College Avg.
Four or more years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of American National University has stayed relatively flat over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 has increased from 14:1 over five years.
The American National University diversity score of 0.80 is more than the state average of 0.66. The school's diversity has grown by 13% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The private state tuition of $11,550 is less than the state average of $15,561. The private state tuition has declined by 22% over four years.
Private State Tuition Fees
Cost savings through
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- Founded in 1886 in Roanoke, Virginia, the college enrolls students at its 30+ campus locations in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, and Indiana. As a collegiate institution offering educational credentials from diplomas to master degrees, National strives to develop each student intellectually, culturally and socially. The University/College is interested in each individual becoming proficient in the disciplines necessary for his and her success, with the training necessary to be self-sufficient and enterprising and with the background necessary to be constantly expanding his or her intellectual and cultural horizons. Established in 1886 to provide Roanoke Valley citizens with training for business careers, and continues to build on its reputation among employers throughout Southwest Virginia. It is also the first National campus to offer a Masters course of study and the first to offer a Bachelors. The location is also home to the institution's main administrative offices. The Roanoke Valley Campus offers Master's Degree, Bachelor's Degrees, Associate's Degrees, Diploma Programs and Certification Programs. The institution is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools to award master's degrees, bachelor's degrees, associate degrees, and diplomas.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does American National University cost?
American National University's private state tuition is approximately $11,550.
What is American National University's ranking?
American National University ranks among the top 20% of community college in Virginia for: Diversity in US community colleges and Percent of students receiving financial aid.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.