Virginia Western Community College
- The mission of Virginia Western Community College is to provide comprehensive higher education and workforce training programs and services of superior quality that are affordable and accessible and that meet individual, business, and community needs in the Roanoke Valley and surrounding areas.Virginia Western endeavors to fulfill this mission by fostering the belief that all people should have an equal opportunity to develop their skills, knowledge, and values. The College promotes this concept by making quality higher education available through its open door admission policy, affordable tuition, financial assistance, and student support services.
- Enrollment: 5,738 students
- In-state tuition: $4,174
- Out-state tuition: $9,624
- Student:teacher ratio: 17:1
- Minority enrollment: 20%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Virginia Western Community College is a two-year public institution of higher education operating under a statewide system of community colleges. The College operates under the policies established by the State Board for Community Colleges and the Virginia Western Community College Board. The service region of the College includes Roanoke, Salem, Roanoke County, Craig County, southern Botetourt County, and northern Franklin County. Day, evening, and weekend classes are provided on a 70-acre campus located in Southwest Roanoke. Classes are also offered at off-campus locations in the area. The College was established in 1966 and has grown from an initial enrollment of 1,352 to its current enrollment of over 9,000. Virginia Western provides an extensive schedule of course offerings and programs to serve the diverse needs of students, including Associate Degree programs to prepare individuals for transfer as upper-division students to baccalaureate degree programs in four-year colleges and universities, Associate Degree programs to prepare individuals for careers as technical and paraprofessional workers and Certificate and Career Studies programs, which prepare individuals for careers as technicians, skilled, and semi-skilled workers. Virginia Western Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Virginia Western Community College cost?
Virginia Western Community College's tuition is approximately $4,174 for In-State students and $9,624 for Out-State students.