Virginia Western Community College
- The mission of Virginia Western Community College is to provide comprehensive higher education and workforce training programs and services of superior quality that are affordable and accessible and that meet individual, business, and community needs in the Roanoke Valley and surrounding areas.Virginia Western endeavors to fulfill this mission by fostering the belief that all people should have an equal opportunity to develop their skills, knowledge, and values. The College promotes this concept by making quality higher education available through its open door admission policy, affordable tuition, financial assistance, and student support services.
- The teacher population of 181 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Virginia Western Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||181 staff||45 staff|
|Total Enrollment||8,632 students||1,577 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||48:1||36:1|
|# Full-Time Students||2,527 students||717 students|
|# Part-Time Students||6,105 students||860 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races||-|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$31,400||$29,400|
- Virginia Western Community College is a two-year public institution of higher education operating under a statewide system of community colleges. The College operates under the policies established by the State Board for Community Colleges and the Virginia Western Community College Board. The service region of the College includes Roanoke, Salem, Roanoke County, Craig County, southern Botetourt County, and northern Franklin County. Day, evening, and weekend classes are provided on a 70-acre campus located in Southwest Roanoke. Classes are also offered at off-campus locations in the area. The College was established in 1966 and has grown from an initial enrollment of 1,352 to its current enrollment of over 9,000. Virginia Western provides an extensive schedule of course offerings and programs to serve the diverse needs of students, including Associate Degree programs to prepare individuals for transfer as upper-division students to baccalaureate degree programs in four-year colleges and universities, Associate Degree programs to prepare individuals for careers as technical and paraprofessional workers and Certificate and Career Studies programs, which prepare individuals for careers as technicians, skilled, and semi-skilled workers. Virginia Western Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees.
- The nearest community college to Virginia Western Community College is American National University (4.6 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,337 students | 4.60 Mi1813 E Main St
Salem,  VA  24153
- 2,900 students | 35.70 Mi645 Patriot Avenue
Martinsville,  VA  24112
- 1,257 students | 39.50 Mi1000 Dabney Drive
Clifton Forge,  VA  24422
- 4,585 students | 41.00 Mi5251 College Drive
Dublin,  VA  24084
- 4,519 students | 44.10 Mi3506 Wards Rd
Lynchburg,  VA  24502