New River Community College
- New River Community College is a two-year institution of higher learning operating under a state-wide system of community colleges. The college serves those who live in the counties of Floyd, Giles, Pulaski, Montgomery, and the city of Radford.
|New River Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate's Colleges: High Transfer-High Nontraditional||Associate's Colleges: Mixed Transfer/Vocational & Technical-Mixed Traditional/Nontraditional|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||180 staff||129 staff|
|School Calendar||Link to School Calendar|
- In 1959 New River Community College began offering vocational/technical courses as a vocational/technical school to residents in the New River Valley. It is one of five colleges which developed from existing vocational/ technical schools into community colleges under 1966 General Assembly legislation which formed the Virginia Community College System. The college continued the occupational/technical programs in Machine Shop, Drafting and Design, Auto Mechanics, Practical Nursing, Industrial Electricity, Electronics, Instrumentation, Clerk Typing, and Stenography.Programs leading to the Associate in Applied Science Degree in Accounting, Business Management and Secretarial Science were added in the fall term of 1970. Degree programs designed for transfer to four-year colleges were also offered at that time. These included the Associate of Arts Degree program in Liberal Arts and the Associate in Science Degree programs in Science, Education, Business Administration, and General Studies. The college is located on a one-hundred acre site at the intersection of U.S. Routes 11 and 100 in Dublin, Virginia. The campus provides modern, well-equipped facilities for the vocational/technical programs as well as for university- parallel programs. The facilities contain labs for Administrative Support Technology, Accounting, Automotive, Drafting and Design, Electronics, Electricity, Fiber Optics, Forensic Science, Information Systems Technology, Instrumentation, Machine Shop, Natural Science classes, Network Design and Installation, Nursing, Programmable Logic Controllers, and Welding. New River Community College offers programs two years beyond the high school level. The college offers Occupational/Technical Education, University parallel/College transfer Education, General education, Continuing education, Customized training programs, Developmental courses NRCC is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate degree.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,450 students | 23.10 Mi1000 E Main Street
Wytheville, VA 24382
(276) 223-4700 23.102,450
- 1,241 students | 32.00 Mi219 Rock Street
Bluefield, WV 24701
(304) 327-4000 32.001,241
- 799 students | 39.40 Mi1813 East Main Street
Salem, VA 24153
(540) 986-1800 39.40799
- 6,303 students | 41.00 Mi3094 Colonial Ave
Roanoke, VA 24015
(540) 857-8922 41.006,303
- 3,382 students | 49.90 Mi630 S. Main St.
Dobson, NC 27017
(336) 386-8121 49.903,382