- New River Community College is a two-year institution of higher learning operating under a state-wide system of community colleges. The college serves those who live in the counties of Floyd, Giles, Pulaski, Montgomery, and the city of Radford.
New River Community College serves 4,137 students (37% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 23:1 is higher than the state community college average of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 12% of the student body (majority Black and Hispanic), which is less than the state average of 48%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 4,137 students
- In-state tuition: $3,325
- Out-state tuition: $7,995
- Student:teacher ratio: 23:1
- Minority enrollment: 12%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
New River Community College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
The teacher population of 180 teachers has grown by 87% over five years.
New River Community College
(VA) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of New River Community College has declined by 10% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 23:1 has decreased from 24:1 over five years.
The New River Community College diversity score of 0.22 is less than the state average of 0.66. The school's diversity has declined by 28% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $3,325 is less than the state average of $3,736. The in-state tuition has declined by 27% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $7,995 is less than the state average of $8,977. The out-state tuition has declined by 23% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- In 1959 New River Community College began offering vocational/technical courses as a vocational/technical school to residents in the New River Valley. It is one of five colleges which developed from existing vocational/ technical schools into community colleges under 1966 General Assembly legislation which formed the Virginia Community College System. The college continued the occupational/technical programs in Machine Shop, Drafting and Design, Auto Mechanics, Practical Nursing, Industrial Electricity, Electronics, Instrumentation, Clerk Typing, and Stenography.Programs leading to the Associate in Applied Science Degree in Accounting, Business Management and Secretarial Science were added in the fall term of 1970. Degree programs designed for transfer to four-year colleges were also offered at that time. These included the Associate of Arts Degree program in Liberal Arts and the Associate in Science Degree programs in Science, Education, Business Administration, and General Studies. The college is located on a one-hundred acre site at the intersection of U.S. Routes 11 and 100 in Dublin, Virginia. The campus provides modern, well-equipped facilities for the vocational/technical programs as well as for university- parallel programs. The facilities contain labs for Administrative Support Technology, Accounting, Automotive, Drafting and Design, Electronics, Electricity, Fiber Optics, Forensic Science, Information Systems Technology, Instrumentation, Machine Shop, Natural Science classes, Network Design and Installation, Nursing, Programmable Logic Controllers, and Welding. New River Community College offers programs two years beyond the high school level. The college offers Occupational/Technical Education, University parallel/College transfer Education, General education, Continuing education, Customized training programs, Developmental courses NRCC is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate degree.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does New River Community College cost?
New River Community College's tuition is approximately $3,325 for In-State students and $7,995 for Out-State students.
What is New River Community College's ranking?
New River Community College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Virginia for: Least expensive tuition.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
Housing is Down, but California Community College Construction Projects Still Strong
Although California’s real estate may be soft, the state’s community college constructions projects are booming. Learn about where the $1.6 billion is going and how community colleges are improving their facilities.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.