New River Community College
- New River Community College is a two-year institution of higher learning operating under a state-wide system of community colleges. The college serves those who live in the counties of Floyd, Giles, Pulaski, Montgomery, and the city of Radford.
- The teacher population of 96 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|New River Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||96 staff||45 staff|
|Total Enrollment||4,585 students||1,577 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||48:1||36:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,870 students||717 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,715 students||860 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$33,200||$29,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- In 1959 New River Community College began offering vocational/technical courses as a vocational/technical school to residents in the New River Valley. It is one of five colleges which developed from existing vocational/ technical schools into community colleges under 1966 General Assembly legislation which formed the Virginia Community College System. The college continued the occupational/technical programs in Machine Shop, Drafting and Design, Auto Mechanics, Practical Nursing, Industrial Electricity, Electronics, Instrumentation, Clerk Typing, and Stenography.Programs leading to the Associate in Applied Science Degree in Accounting, Business Management and Secretarial Science were added in the fall term of 1970. Degree programs designed for transfer to four-year colleges were also offered at that time. These included the Associate of Arts Degree program in Liberal Arts and the Associate in Science Degree programs in Science, Education, Business Administration, and General Studies. The college is located on a one-hundred acre site at the intersection of U.S. Routes 11 and 100 in Dublin, Virginia. The campus provides modern, well-equipped facilities for the vocational/technical programs as well as for university- parallel programs. The facilities contain labs for Administrative Support Technology, Accounting, Automotive, Drafting and Design, Electronics, Electricity, Fiber Optics, Forensic Science, Information Systems Technology, Instrumentation, Machine Shop, Natural Science classes, Network Design and Installation, Nursing, Programmable Logic Controllers, and Welding. New River Community College offers programs two years beyond the high school level. The college offers Occupational/Technical Education, University parallel/College transfer Education, General education, Continuing education, Customized training programs, Developmental courses NRCC is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate degree.
- The nearest community college to New River Community College is Wytheville Community College (23.2 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,302 students | 23.20 Mi1000 E Main Street
Wytheville,  VA  24382
- 89 students | 28.50 Mi617 Mercer Street
Princeton,  WV  24740
- 1,563 students | 31.80 Mi219 Rock St
Bluefield,  WV  24701
- 1,337 students | 39.40 Mi1813 E Main St
Salem,  VA  24153
- 8,632 students | 40.80 Mi3093 Colonial Ave
Roanoke,  VA  24015
Do you have a right to use profanity on campus? Read about one community college that is fining its students for cussing.
The current state of the United States education system is up in the air as COVID-19 spreads across the nation. Graduating high school seniors may find it necessary to change their plans for the fall of 2020 and many are considering a gap year.
In the wake of the COVID-19 crisis, businesses around the country are facing setbacks - colleges included. Read on to learn more about the impact of the pandemic on higher education in the United States.