Northern Virginia Community College
- Northern Virginia Community College is an open access, comprehensive community college offering two-year associate degrees, one-year certificates, and career studies certificates as well as continuing education and community services programs. NVCC, as one of the 23 colleges comprising the Virginia Community College System, is governed by the Virginia State Board for Community Colleges.
Northern Virginia Community College places among the top 20% of community colleges in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Diversity Diversity in US community colleges
- Community Size Largest student body
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 1,369 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Northern Virginia Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||1,369 staff||45 staff|
|Total Enrollment||51,487 students||1,577 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||38:1||36:1|
|# Full-Time Students||18,742 students||717 students|
|# Part-Time Students||32,745 students||860 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||-|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$46,200||$29,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC) was established in 1964 as Northern Virginia Technical College to serve the eighth planning district. A statewide technical college system was established with 23 regions under legislation enacted by the Virginia General Assembly. In 1966, the College bought 78 acres in Annandale, which became the first of five permanent campus sites. The first building was constructed there and opened in 1967. That same year 100-acre sites were purchased for campuses in Sterling, Manassas, and Woodbridge. In 1969, a campus site was purchased for Alexandria. NVCC offers a wide range of programs meeting standards for transfer to baccalaureate degree programs in 4 year colleges and universities. We also offer developmental courses to assist students in developing skills to insure their success at the college, and community service/continuing education courses which serve to meet personal development needs and the needs for business/industry training and retraining. The Annandale Campus offerings include a variety of support classes, programs, and continuing education courses for transfer preparation and workforce partnerships. In addition to the in-class course offerings, our faculty offer a wide range of formats such as: distance learning, evenings, weekend college, and compressed weekends.
- The nearest community college to Northern Virginia Community College is Columbia College (Fairfax) (2.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 428 students | 2.90 Mi8300 Merrifield Ave 3F
Fairfax,  VA  22031
- 2,849 students | 5.10 Mi7777 Leesburg Pike
Falls Church,  VA  22043
- 1,371 students | 5.50 Mi6565 Arlington Boulevard
Falls Church,  VA  22042
- 327 students | 12.30 Mi8255 Shopper\'s Square
Manassas,  VA  20111
- 78 students | 16.70 Mi10500 georgia ave
Silver Spring,  MD  20902
Learn the important role community colleges have take in improving homeland security.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.