Young Harris College
- The purpose of Young Harris College is to provide the first two years of a baccalaureate degree in liberal arts for students who value and are attracted to an institution with high academic standards and superior teaching. The college offers an environment in a beautiful mountain setting conducive to the development of the Christian faith and character, opportunities for personal and intellectual growth, and responsible citizenship. The institution also provides, for both its students and the general public, programs, services, and facilities that accommodate diverse educational, recreational, and cultural interests.
Young Harris College places among the top 20% of community colleges in Georgia for:
- Category Attribute
- School Resources Percent of students receiving financial aid
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 94 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Young Harris College||(GA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||Four or more years||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||94 staff||94 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,218 students||2,588 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1||27:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,186 students||1,115 students|
|# Part-Time Students||32 students||1,473 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||1,067||461|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$39,300||$29,600|
- Young Harris College is a private, church-related college that specializes in the liberal arts core. Our concentration on the first two years of a baccalaureate degree is designed to educate the whole person – intellectually, socially, culturally and spiritually. Our 600 students participate in a full array of activities that prepare them superbly for further study. In fact, more than ninety-three percent of our graduates transfer to senior colleges and universities. High academic achievement is a hallmark of YHC alumni. Founded in 1886, Young Harris College is a private, United Methodist-affiliated residential two-year liberal arts college located in the Appalachian mountains of northern Georgia. With a 15:1 student to faculty ratio and an average enrollment of 600 students, YHC combines a rigorous academic program with a nurturing atmosphere. The campus offers a gymnasium, indoor swimming pool, six tennis courts, large athletic fields, the third-largest planetarium in the state, and the comforts of an up-to-date technologically advanced campus set amidst the beautiful north Georgia mountains. YHC's degree programs provide a strong general education for transfer to senior colleges and universities. The Associate of Arts Degree is offered with a concentration in liberal arts or religious studies; the Associate of Fine Arts Degree is offered with a concentration in art, music, or theatre. The Associate of Science Degree is offered with concentration in business, education, recreation, or science. Young Harris College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees.
- The nearest community college to Young Harris College is Truett-McConnell College (23.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,681 students | 23.80 Mi100 Alumni Dr
Cleveland,  GA  30528
- 2,663 students | 27.10 Mi1500 Georgia Hwy 197 N
Clarkesville,  GA  30523
- 1,103 students | 45.70 Mi100 Campus Drive
Jasper,  GA  30143
- 3,318 students | 46.20 Mi447 College Dr
Sylva,  NC  28779
- n/a students | 48.20 Mi3820 Mundy Mill Rd
Oakwood,  GA  30566