Southwestern Community College
Top Ranked (2021): View Rankings
Tel: (828) 339-4000
- Southwestern Community College is a learning and teaching institution offering high-quality, innovative instruction and support, which promotes student achievement, academic excellence and economic development.
The teacher population of 144 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Southwestern Community College||(NC) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||144 staff||141 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- We offer quality programs that fit with your educational and career goals at a fraction of the cost! Students at four-year public universities in North Carolina pay 2-6 times more in tuition and fees compared to students at Southwestern Community College.When it comes to Tuition and Fees, SCC is dedicated to providing an affordable education. Review our estimated Cost of Attendance to help determine your cost and view our tuition payment plans for flexible payment options.Our cost may be low but the value of an SCC education is high! 90% of our graduates stay, live, and work within our service area, and our transfer students have over a 95% success rate at 4-year institutions in the UNC system.
- Key student resources include our Learning Assistance Center, Student Support Services, Disability Services, Library, and E-Learning department.All of our students have access to one-on-one academic advising and career counseling to prepare them for whatever is next!
- Through an agreement with the University of North Carolina system, SCC students can earn up to 61 hours worth of credit that will transfer to any public university and many private colleges in the state. Completion of the Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts, or Associate in Science degree program ensures students` transfer with junior status into most majors.Our University Transfer Advising Center (UTAC) provides advising services for Arts and Sciences students planning to transfer to a university or 4-year college.Many SCC programs have also established transfer articulation agreements with other colleges and universities opening doors of opportunity for graduates to pursue a bachelor`s degree. These agreements are designed to identify the maximum number of transferable credits that can be completed at SCC, as well as the courses remaining upon transfer.
The nearest community college to Southwestern Community College is Haywood Community College (19.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,627 students | 19.90 Mi185 Freedlander Drive
Clyde,  NC  28721
(828) 627-2821 19.901,627
- 702 students | 28.10 MiOne Brevard College Drive
Brevard,  NC  28712
(828) 884-8332 28.10702
- 6,892 students | 39.60 Mi340 Victoria Rd
Asheville,  NC  28801
(828) 254-1921 39.606,892
- 303 students | 41.20 Mi140 Sweeten Creek Road
Asheville,  NC  28803
(828) 398-2500 41.20303
- 2,186 students | 44.00 Mi180 West Campus Drive
Flat Rock,  NC  28731
(828) 694-1700 44.002,186
For-profit colleges are now becoming an alternative for community college students who are stuck on waiting lists or who hope to earn bachelor's degrees. Learn more about the opportunities and articulation agreements between for-profit colleges and community colleges.
Education now comes with a money-back guarantee. Learn about which community college is guaranteeing that its graduates will secure jobs - or get their money back.
The world was ill-prepared to find itself in the midst of a global pandemic and the effects of the past year will linger for many years to come. No industry was unaffected and the pandemic brought to light inequities in many, particularly the U.S. education system. Read on to learn how the pandemic has affected community colleges and what students can expect in the future.