Western Nevada College
Tel: (775) 445-3000
Western Nevada College Photo #2 - Brian Sandoval, 18, helps Physics professor Tom Herring with a demonstration during College Day at Western Nevada College on March 10, 2017, in Carson City.
Western Nevada College Photo #3 - Western Nevada College President Chet Burton congratulates Cassandra Luster at the college's 2017 Commencement Ceremony on May 22 in Carson City. Luster was one of 551 graduates.
Western Nevada College Photo #4 - Industrial Technology and Electronics professor Emily Howarth talks to students during College Day at Western Nevada College on March 10, 2017, in Carson City.
Western Nevada College Photo #5 - Western Nevada College is located in Carson City, Nev., and has been serving students since 1971.
- Western Nevada College is a public, open admissions college dedicated to providing affordable, quality educational opportunities for those residing in our seven-county service area. Our students come from a variety of social, ethnic, and economic backgrounds and vary in their reasons for attending our college; some are the first in their family to attend college while others hold post-graduate degrees. Western Nevada College welcomes all who desire the opportunity to learn. The strength of our college emanates from its diversity, and we affirm the right of all to pursue and disseminate knowledge free of discrimination and prejudice. All members of the college community ' faculty, support staff, and administrators ' are committed to the values of free and unfettered inquiry; tolerance of, and respect for, difference; the nurturing of human potential; good citizenship; and civility. These values are reflected in all of the college's policies and practices.
The teacher population of 119 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Western Nevada College||(NV) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate/Associate's Colleges: Associate's Dominant||Baccalaureate/Associate's Colleges: Associate's Dominant|
|Institution Level||Four or more years||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Public||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||119 staff||38 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Western Nevada College is a comprehensive community college that serves more than 5,000 students each year within a five-county area, spanning more than 10,000 square miles. One of four community colleges in the Nevada System of Higher Education, it is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. Documents detailing accreditation approval are available at the WNC library. Western offers a diverse curriculum that is tailored to meet students` individual educational goals. By offering multiple college degree, certificate and career-building programs, smaller class sizes, and personalized counseling opportunities, WNC helps to ensure students a positive and successful college experience.
- WNC reaches out to its urban and rural communities with campuses in Carson City, Fallon and Minden/Gardnerville. In addition, distance education offerings, including interactive video and online classes, allow those in widespread locations access to higher education.
- The college offers academic degrees, certificates and certifications that can lead to diverse careers and transfer to a university or state college. Areas of study include business, liberal arts, sciences, technologies, fine arts, humanities, and more. Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees prepare students for university transfer in many fields of the arts, social sciences and physical sciences. A sampling of program areas include information technology, law, geographic information systems, criminal justice, graphic communications, and musical theatre. Students may complete up to two years of many baccalaureate degree programs, including teacher preparation, for transfer to a state college or university. WNC also offers a four-year Bachelor of Technology degree in Construction Management and a partnership with Nevada State College to prepare teachers and other skilled workers with bachelor`s degrees, without having to leave the area.
- Students can attain WNC Associate of Applied Science degrees in accounting, automated systems, auto mechanics, business, criminal justice, computer information technology, computer networking, construction technology, deaf studies, general industrial technology, graphic communications, machine tool technology, management, nursing, or welding technology. In response to industry needs, the college also offers specialized training programs in construction, machine tool, drafting, welding, computing and other technical areas. Customization often includes providing specialized instruction at the times and locations most convenient to employers, including on-site programs. Workplace certification preparation programs include Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), Bookkeeping, Certified Inspector of Structures, Certified Nursing Assistant, Cisco Certified Networking Associate, CompTIA Security+, Deaf Studies-Interpreting, Emergency Medical Services, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist, Microsoft Certified IT Specialist, Phlebotomy/Venipuncture, and Welding. Western`s faculty is recognized as highly educated and accessible to students. Faculty dedication is reflected in the college`s commitment to free and unfettered inquiry; tolerance and respect for differences; development of critical thinking skills; and good citizenship.
- WNC students represent the individualism and diversity of our society. They enter college with different goals and expectations. WNC offers them opportunities to pursue their career dreams in a more affordable and nurturing environment.
- WNC's main campus, located in the Silver State's capital, offers students an interesting blend of environments: the comfortable pace of a small city combined with the political bustle of state government. The Carson City campus is also close to some of the best scenery and outdoor recreation in the West. The campus rests on the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and the spectacular beauty of Lake Tahoe is only 12 miles away.
The nearest community college to Western Nevada College is Lake Tahoe Community College (22.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,404 students | 22.40 MiOne College Drive
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
(530) 541-4660 22.402,404
- 376 students | 24.80 Mi1421 Pullman Dr.
Sparks, NV 89434
(775) 856-2266 24.80376
- 10,861 students | 26.60 Mi7000 Dandini Blvd
Reno, NV 89512
(775) 673-7000 26.6010,861
- 18,314 students | 81.00 Mi5100 Sierra College Blvd
Rocklin, CA 95677
(916) 624-3333 81.0018,314
- 8,575 students | 81.20 Mi10 College Parkway
Folsom, CA 95630
(916) 608-6572 81.208,575
Community colleges are quickly becoming a key competitor against four year universities – and for many good reasons! Learn about why more students are opting to enroll in their local community college, rather than going straight to four year institutions.
Hunting for a job is always nerve-wracking but even more so in the aftermath of a global pandemic. Read on to learn some job-hunting tactics and tips for remote interviewing.
May 18, 2021
The world was ill-prepared to find itself in the midst of a global pandemic and the effects of the past year will linger for many years to come. No industry was unaffected and the pandemic brought to light inequities in many, particularly the U.S. education system. Read on to learn how the pandemic has affected community colleges and what students can expect in the future.