Shelton State Community College
- Shelton State is a diverse institution. In addition to general education and technical/occupational programs, we have two divisions that are unique to the Alabama College System. Through the Alabama State Fire College and the Alabama Water Resources Center , Shelton State offers instruction to professionals in important public service positions throughout the state. In addition, the C. A. Fredd Campus of Shelton State , designated as an Historically Black College and University, plays a special role in extending the operations and activities of Shelton State to West Alabama 's culturally diverse population.
Top Placements (Alabama)
Listed among the top community colleges in Alabama for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body
- The teacher population of 134 teachers has declined by 18% over five years.
|Shelton State Community College||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||134 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||4,978 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||37:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||2,307 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,671 students||752 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,300||$29,700|
- Shelton State Community College is part of a state system of public colleges. This system originated in the Alabama Trade School and Junior College Authority Act enacted by the state legislature in May 1963.Shelton State Community College awards the Associate in Arts Degree, the Associate in Science Degree, the Associate in Applied Science Degree. The College also offers two types of certificate programs, certificate programs that are 30-60 semester hours in length and certificate programs that are 9-26 semester hours in length. The Associate in Applied Science Degree and the Certificate programs are designed for students who plan to seek employment based upon the competencies and skills attained through those programs of study. These degrees and certificates are included on the official Academic Inventory of Shelton State Community College maintained by the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education.The primary purpose of student financial assistance programs at Shelton State Community College is to assist students with meeting the cost of their education.Shelton State has an athletic department that has received state, regional and national recognition. Shelton fields five athletic teams; baseball, softball, women's soccer, and men's and women's basketball.The Shelton State Lifelong Learning Center is a nonprofit, self-supporting academic program designed for seniors, offers short courses in a variety of areas in a safe environment and at a low cost. The Shelton State Community College Adult Education Program has the vision of assisting adults in learning and developing skills for employment and self-sufficiency. An educated, employed workforce improves the social and economic conditions of any community.
- The nearest community college to Shelton State Community College is Marion Military Institute (37.1 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 439 students | 37.10 Mi1101 Washington St
Marion,  AL  36756
- n/a students | 37.30 Mi1100 9th Ave Sw
Bessemer,  AL  35022
- 3,090 students | 45.00 Mi3060 Wilson Rd SW
Birmingham,  AL  35221
- 425 students | 48.50 Mi280 West Valley Avenue
Birmingham,  AL  35209
- 499 students | 48.50 Mi280 West Valley Ave
Birmingham,  AL  35209