Piedmont Technical College
- Piedmont Technical College, a member of the South Carolina Technical and Comprehensive Education system, is a public comprehensive two-year post-secondary institution. Piedmont contributes to the economic growth and development of the largest and most diverse region of the technical college system, Abbeville, Edgefield, Greenwood, Laurens, McCormick, Newberry, and Saluda counties and to the state. The college responds to the academic, training, and public service needs of the community through excellence in teaching and educational services.
Piedmont Technical College serves 4,712 students (36% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 14:1 is higher than the state community college average of 12:1.
Minority enrollment is 35% of the student body (majority Black), which is less than the state average of 38%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 4,712 students
- In-state tuition: $4,460
- Out-state tuition: $5,660
- Student:teacher ratio: 14:1
- Minority enrollment: 35%
- Source: Verified school update
Piedmont Technical College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in South Carolina for:
The teacher population of 342 teachers has grown by 80% over five years.
Piedmont Technical College
(SC) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Piedmont Technical College has stayed relatively flat over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 14:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Piedmont Technical College diversity score of 0.48 is less than the state average of 0.55. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,460 is less than the state average of $5,692. The in-state tuition has declined by 10% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $5,660 is less than the state average of $10,568. The out-state tuition has declined by 8% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- In 1966, the eighth Technical Education Center, Piedmont, was established to serve Abbeville, Edgefield, Greenwood, Laurens, McCormick, Newberry, Saluda and surrounding counties. Classes met for the first time at Piedmont on September 6, 1966, with some 300 students enrolled in day and evening classes. On October 2, 1972, five new buildings representing the first phase of a 30-year master development plan were occupied. These facilities housed classrooms, laboratories, a learning resources center and faculty offices. A general renovation of the main campus center included a student lounge and recreation complex. On April 10, 1974, the institution's name was changed from Piedmont Technical Education Center to Piedmont Technical College to more accurately reflect our post-secondary educational mission. The 1981-82 year saw six new additions to the Piedmont campus: a health sciences facility, conference center, continuing education complex, student center, multi-purpose building and automotive technology facility. In 1986, a 10,000-square-foot addition to the Conference Center made it one of the finest facilities of its type in the state. Piedmont's main Campus, the Lex Walters Campus borders a primary industrial corridor on the outskirts of Greenwood, South Carolina. The modern campus is a large complex that integrates the latest in instructional technology while also offering an environment that is totally conducive to learning. Campus highlights includes the James C. Self Conference Center, Marion P. Carnell library, the Solutia Gallery, PTC Campus Shop, Student Center & Canteen. Other features includes labs for medical, technology and business programs, industrial shops, a well-equipped media center, faculty and administrative offices. The college offers Associate degrees in vocational, technical, and occupational areas and university transfer; vocational, technical and occupational diplomas and certificates; developmental education programs and courses preparing individuals to take the General Education Development Test, custom-designed Continuing Education training programs for business, industry, and facilities for the Special Schools program to train potential employees for new and expanding manufacturing companies; and Student Development programs which provide academic, career and individual support. Piedmont Technical College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate's degree and holds membership in the American Association of Community and Junior Colleges and in the American Technical Education Association.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Piedmont Technical College cost?
Piedmont Technical College's tuition is approximately $4,460 for In-State students and $5,660 for Out-State students.
What is Piedmont Technical College's ranking?
Piedmont Technical College ranks among the top 20% of community college in South Carolina for: Least expensive tuition and Percent of students receiving financial aid.
Learn about the lucrative career opportunities in nano-technology and how you can begin your training right at community college.
The Top Challenges for Non-Traditional Students in Community College
If you are starting community college as an adult, there are certain challenges you can expect to face. Understanding and anticipating those challenges will help you to face them head-on with the greatest chance for success.
January 17, 2023ChatGPT: A Powerful Tool With Many Uses
When your database is the entire Internet, you can answer just about any question lightning-fast. Here are some suggestions for using ChatGTP in your college studies.