Missouri State University-West Plains
- The teacher population of 75 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Missouri State University-West Plains||(MO) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Public||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||75 staff||32 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,123 students||1,126 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||28:1||27:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,256 students||514 students|
|# Part-Time Students||867 students||612 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||60||200|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,400||$31,000|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Missouri State University-West Plains was founded in 1963 as the West Plains Residence Center. In 1977, the SMSU Board of Regents and, subsequently, the Missouri General Assembly, designated the name "West Plains Campus of Southwest Missouri State University" to replace Residence Center. In 1981, the legislature enacted a permanent status bill for the campus. In 1991, the legislature passed House Bill 51 which gave the West Plains Campus the authority to offer "one-year certificates, two-year associate degrees and credit and non-credit courses." Missouri State University-West Plains specializes in providing quality education to students of all ages in the south central Ozarks region of Missouri. For over 50 years, the college has grown and expanded to offer a liberal arts transfer curriculum at the freshman and sophomore levels, selected occupational and technical education programs, and a variety of continuing education courses. Enrollment is approximately 2,200 students per semester. The campus consists of six classroom and administrative buildings—Cass Hall, Garfield Hall, Kellett Hall, Looney Hall, Melton Hall, and the Lybyer Enhanced Technology Center. The $4.3 million Michael J. Lybyer Enhanced Technology Center, opened in Spring 2000. In addition to the classroom and administrative buildings, the campus includes the Garnett Library, a 60-person residence hall called the Grizzly House, the Putnam Student Center, and the V.H. Drago College Store. In 2000, the campus received two additional properties, Richards House, which is the permanent residence of the Missouri State University – West Plains Chancellor, and Gohn, which houses the Missouri State University-Springfield Outreach Office. Missouri State University-West Plains offers Associate degrees, transfer programs and training for immediate employment. Missouri State University-West Plains is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of College and Secondary Schools.
- The nearest community college to Missouri State University-West Plains is Texas County Technical College (39.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 125 students | 39.90 Mi6915 S Hwy 63
Houston,  MO  65483
- 1,393 students | 40.50 Mi1600 South College Street
Mountain Home,  AR  72653
- 1,326 students | 46.70 Mi218 College Dr
Melbourne,  AR  72556
- 1,963 students | 60.60 Mi1410 Hwy 304 East
Pocahontas,  AR  72455
- 1,315 students | 66.10 Mi2005 White Drive
Batesville,  AR  72503
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Though homeschoolers often get a bad rap, they are some of the highest performing students in the country - especially in college. Keep reading to learn more about community college for homeschoolers including tips for applying and preparing for college.
Remedial education exists to help struggling students succeed in college-level classes. Unfortunately, the existing model may be doing more harm than good. Keep reading to learn more about the history of remedial education and what community colleges are doing to change it.