Madison Area Technical College
- Madison Area Technical College (MATC) is the technical and community college for the greater Madison area. It is dedicated to providing accessible, high quality instruction and technical experience to meet the needs of its students, community and area employers.
Madison Area Technical College serves 13,057 students (28% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 9:1 is same as the state community college average of 9:1.
Minority enrollment is 27% of the student body (majority Hispanic and Black), which is more than the state average of 25%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 13,057 students
- In-state tuition: $4,133
- Out-state tuition: $6,022
- Student:teacher ratio: 9:1
- Minority enrollment: 27%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Madison Area Technical College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Wisconsin for:
The teacher population of 1,394 teachers has grown by 57% over five years.
Madison Area Technical College
(WI) Community College Avg.
Less than 2 yrs
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Madison Area Technical College has declined by 15% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 9:1 has decreased from 10:1 over five years.
The Madison Area Technical College diversity score of 0.45 is more than the state average of 0.42. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years) (Year 2007)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,133 is less than the state average of $4,173. The in-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $6,022 is less than the state average of $6,317. The out-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Founded in 1912 to teach vocational skills, today MATC is a nationally recognized community college. It is one of the largest of the Wisconsin Technical College System's 16 colleges and serves approximately 44,000 individuals annually. It provides a comprehensive curriculum of technical, liberal arts and sciences, adult basic education and continuing education, as well as customized training for employers. The college awards associate degrees, technical diplomas and certificates and offers classes that transfer to four-year degree programs. MATC serves parts of 12 counties located in beautiful southcentral Wisconsin. Its 10 college facilities are spread among five campuses. MATC's main Madison campus is located in one of the top-ranked places to live in the U.S. It is easy to enjoy the Madison area's lakes, rolling hills, year-round sports and recreation activities and diversity of entertainment, nightlife, and culture. MATC's regional campuses are located in the communities of Fort Atkinson, Portage, Reedsburg and Watertown. In addition, the college offers instruction in hundreds of locations throughout its district. MATC offers 144 associate degree, technical diploma, apprenticeship and short-term certificate programs, including liberal arts transfer, as well as high school completion options, basic skills education, and hundreds of adult continuing education classes. MATC provides training for more than 100 careers, including such high tech fields as biotechnology, broadcast captioning, electron microscopy, plastics technology, Internet development, computer networking and information technology security. Its varied programs include accounting, marketing, culinary arts, nursing, automotive technology, criminal justice-law enforcement and welding.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Madison Area Technical College cost?
Madison Area Technical College's tuition is approximately $4,133 for In-State students and $6,022 for Out-State students.
What is Madison Area Technical College's ranking?
Madison Area Technical College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Wisconsin for: Largest student body and Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation).
Learn about the lucrative career opportunities in nano-technology and how you can begin your training right at community college.
The Top Challenges for Non-Traditional Students in Community College
If you are starting community college as an adult, there are certain challenges you can expect to face. Understanding and anticipating those challenges will help you to face them head-on with the greatest chance for success.
January 17, 2023ChatGPT: A Powerful Tool With Many Uses
When your database is the entire Internet, you can answer just about any question lightning-fast. Here are some suggestions for using ChatGTP in your college studies.