Lamar State College-Orange
- Lamar State College-Orange is an open-admissions, lower-division state institution of higher education within the Texas State University System. Our mission is to provide academic transfer and associate degree programs, technical certificate and associate degree programs, developmental programs, continuing education and customized training programs and community service activities.
- The teacher population of 65 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Lamar State College-Orange||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||65 staff||76 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,259 students||3,921 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||35:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,015 students||1,055 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,244 students||2,866 students|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$31,000||$33,800|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Lamar University opened its first extension center in Orange in the fall of 1969 with classes in the former Tilley Elementary School. In 1971 the Texas Legislature passed legislation allowing Lamar University to operate a two-year educational center, thus removing the extension status and allowing students to take two full years of coursework on the Orange campus. Lamar State College-Orange currently has a student body of approximately 2,000. Two-year academic programs are offered in business, communication, computer science, criminal justice, elementary education, liberal arts, natural science and sociology. These academic programs lead to associate of science degrees and will transfer to four-year institutions for students seeking baccalaureate degrees. Thirty technical programs are available, leading to associate of applied science degrees, certificates of completion and institutional awards. Instructional programs are offered in five divisions: liberal arts, mathematics and science, business and technology, education and allied health. Lamar State College-Orange is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate of arts, associate of science and associate of applied science degrees and certificates of completion.
- The nearest community college to Lamar State College-Orange is Lamar State College-Port Arthur (18.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,077 students | 18.70 Mi1500 Proctor St
Port Arthur,  TX  77640
- 2,799 students | 20.80 Mi855 E Lavaca
Beaumont,  TX  77705
- 208 students | 32.40 Mi517 Broad St
Lake Charles,  LA  70601
- 3,411 students | 35.20 Mi3820 J Bennett Johnston Ave
Lake Charles,  LA  70616
- 150 students | 64.90 Mi1230 North Main Street
Jennings,  LA  70546
The current state of the United States education system is up in the air as COVID-19 spreads across the nation. Graduating high school seniors may find it necessary to change their plans for the fall of 2020 and many are considering a gap year.
In the wake of the COVID-19 crisis, businesses around the country are facing setbacks - colleges included. Read on to learn more about the impact of the pandemic on higher education in the United States.
Do you have a right to use profanity on campus? Read about one community college that is fining its students for cussing.