SOWELA Technical Community College
- The mission of SOWELA Technical Community College is to provide a lifelong learning and teaching environment designed to afford every student an equal opportunity to develop to his/her full potential. SOWELA Technical Community College is a public, comprehensive technical community college offering programs including associate degrees, diplomas and technical certificates as well as noncredit courses. The college is committed to accessible and affordable quality education, relevant training, and retraining by providing post-secondary academic and technical education to meet the educational advancement and workforce development needs of the community.
SOWELA Technical Community College places among the top 20% of community colleges in Louisiana for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- Debt For Students Least debt for graduating students
- The teacher population of 102 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|SOWELA Technical Community College||(LA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||102 staff||26 staff|
|Total Enrollment||3,411 students||1,493 students|
|# Full-Time Students||1,815 students||382 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,596 students||1,111 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$35,800||$30,100|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- SOWELA Technical Community College was created in 1938 by the Louisiana Legislature as The Southwest Louisiana Trades School of Lake Charles, Louisiana. While it has had a variety of names over the past, its mission has always been the same: to provide opportunities for people to qualify for jobs which will lead to meaningful and productive careers. If you wish to earn a degree or diploma in a program of study, or if you only want to take a few classes to learn a specific skill or to upgrade existing skills, SOWELA is here to assist you. If you want to enrich your life by learning something that you've always wanted to know to specialize in a particular kind of culinary art, for example we can help you do that. SOWELA's small class sizes, affordable tuition, highly qualified faculty, convenient class times, beautiful campus, and a wide variety of student services combine to make it the right choice for many people. At SOWELA, you will see state-of-the-art curricula, facilities and equipment. Our campus is conveniently located to most regions of Southwest Louisiana, and our online courses can help you juggle the busy lifestyles of today.
- The nearest community college to SOWELA Technical Community College is Delta School of Business and Technology (3.2 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 208 students | 3.20 Mi517 Broad St
Lake Charles,  LA  70601
- 150 students | 30.10 Mi1230 North Main Street
Jennings,  LA  70546
- 2,259 students | 35.20 Mi410 Front St
Orange,  TX  77630
- 259 students | 45.80 Mi1933 W Hutchinson Ave
Crowley,  LA  70526
- 2,738 students | 46.90 Mi2048 Johnson Hwy
Eunice,  LA  70535
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.