Lamar State College-Port Arthur
Tel: (409) 984-6342
- Lamar State College - Port Arthur is an open-access, comprehensive public two-year college offering quality instruction leading to associate degrees and a variety of certificates. The college, a member of The Texas State University System, has provided affordable, quality educational opportunities to residents of the Southeast Texas area since 1909.
- The teacher population of 87 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Lamar State College-Port Arthur||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||87 staff||76 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,077 students||3,921 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||24:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||898 students||1,055 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,179 students||2,866 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$33,200||$33,800|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Lamar State College-Port Arthur, a two-year, state-supported institution, is a member of The Texas State University System. Located in Port Arthur, an industrial and cultural center of Southeast Texas, the college offers freshman- and sophomore-level work in numerous academic and technical/vocational fields. The campus sits between the 1,000 and 1,800 blocks of Procter Street and Lakeshore Drive. <--new bullet point-->Founded as Port Arthur Business College in 1909, Lamar University - Port Arthur became a part of the Lamar University System in 1975. On September 1, 1995, Lamar - Port Arthur became part of The Texas State University System. Legislation signed into law in June 1999 changed the name to Lamar State College - Port Arthur. The Lamar State College-Port Arthur campus contains 22 buildings situated on approximately 40 acres. Most of these facilities were donated for the creation of the institution. The following is a listing of the institutions and organizations whose facilities contributed to Lamar State College-Port Arthur: Port Arthur College, the City of Port Arthur, the Port Arthur College Foundation, Southern Union Gas, the First United Methodist Church of Port Arthur and Daughters of the American Revolution. Lamar State College-Port Arthur offers general academic courses leading to Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees. Courses for transfer to four-year institutions are offered in accounting, economics, anthropology, art, government, health, home economics, physical education, physics, history, speech, computer science, mathematics, psychology, biology, chemistry, geography, geology, sociology, criminal justice, music, drama, English and Spanish. Lamar State College-Port Arthur is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees. It is approved by the Texas Education Agency for the training of veterans under all classifications.
- The nearest community college to Lamar State College-Port Arthur is Lamar Institute of Technology (14.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,799 students | 14.70 Mi855 E Lavaca
Beaumont,  TX  77705
(409) 880-8321 14.702,799
- 2,259 students | 18.70 Mi410 Front St
Orange,  TX  77630
(409) 883-7750 18.702,259
- 3,411 students | 44.70 Mi3820 J Bennett Johnston Ave
Lake Charles,  LA  70616
(337) 421-6565 44.703,411
- 208 students | 49.00 Mi517 Broad St
Lake Charles,  LA  70601
(337) 439-5765 49.00208
- 6,481 students | 63.70 Mi511 S Whiting
Baytown,  TX  77520
(281) 427-5611 63.706,481
Learn about how budgetary constraints are prompting community colleges to only offer four-day school weeks.
Learn about how you can pursue a degree and career in the entertainment industry by starting at your local community college.
Learn about the variety of mentoring programs available in community colleges, and why you may want to be involved as a mentee or mentor.