J F Drake State Community and Technical College
- Drake?s mission is to provide vocational-technical education through academic and occupational training, from basic education through two-year technical programs. Students develop marketable skills in vocational-technical areas at J. F. Drake, one of a network of forty postsecondary institutions of its kind in the state of Alabama. The 30-acre campus houses eight buildings.
- The teacher population of 53 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|J F Drake State Community and Technical College||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||53 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,062 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||20:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||546 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||516 students||752 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$26,300||$29,500|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- J. F. Drake State Technical College is a two-year, state-supported, coed, vocational-technical college founded in 1961. J. F. Drake is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate in Applied Technology degree. Diplomas and certificates are also awarded.Drake Tech is located in northeastern Huntsville, home of the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, the U.S. Army Missile Command, Strategic Defense Command, the Redstone Arsenal, and a host of high-technology industrial centers. The area is one of the fastest-growing engineering and technology centers in the South. Huntsville offers students access to museums, shopping, and fine restaurants.The College assists African-American students to find and contact predominantly African- American schools and colleges which provide educational opportunities that are best suited to the individual students academic achievement and financial resources.
- The nearest community college to J F Drake State Community and Technical College is Huntsville Bible College (1.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 138 students | 1.80 Mi904 Oakwood Ave
Huntsville,  AL  35811
- 597 students | 4.20 Mi2021 Drake Avenue, SW
Huntsville,  AL  35801
- 10,802 students | 22.80 Mi6250 U S Highway 31 N
Tanner,  AL  35671
- 2,708 students | 40.70 Mi138 Highway 35
Rainsville,  AL  35986
- 4,758 students | 43.90 Mi6015 Ledford Mill Road
Tullahoma,  TN  37388
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.