Germanna Community College Photo #2 - The Science & Engineering Building at GermannaCommunity College`s Fredericksburg Area Campus.
- Germanna Community College is one of the twenty-three community colleges in Virginia that comprise the Virginia Community College System. It is a two-year public institution of higher education established in 1970. The College takes pride in serving the residents of Caroline, Culpeper, King George, Madison, Orange, Spotsylvania, and Stafford counties and the City of Fredericksburg.
Germanna Community College serves 7,679 students (30% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 21:1 is higher than the state community college average of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 37% of the student body (majority Black and Hispanic), which is less than the state average of 48%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 7,679 students
- In-state tuition: $4,350
- Out-state tuition: $10,158
- Student:teacher ratio: 21:1
- Minority enrollment: 37%
- Source: Verified school update
Germanna Community College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
Debt For Students
The teacher population of 368 teachers has grown by 142% over five years.
Germanna Community College
(VA) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Germanna Community College has grown by 14% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 21:1 has increased from 20:1 over five years.
The Germanna Community College diversity score of 0.57 is less than the state average of 0.66. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,350 is more than the state average of $3,736. The in-state tuition has declined by 9% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $10,158 is more than the state average of $8,977. The out-state tuition has declined by 5% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Germanna Community College is a public, comprehensive higher education institution in the Virginia Community College System. Located in north-central Virginia, the College has two full-service campuses and offers Associate Degree, Certificate, and Career Studies Certificate programs to a diverse urban and rural population. In 1956, descendants of the original settlers at Germanna Ford organized the Memorial Foundation of Germanna Colonies in Virginia, Inc. In 1966, the Virginia legislature created a community college system intended to provide higher learning in both academic and technical areas within commuting distance of every citizen of the Commonwealth. A site selection committee recommended that the College be located in the center of its service region. In 1969, the Memorial Foundation of Germanna Colonies donated 100 acres of property along the Rapidan River to the Commonwealth of Virginia for the location of a community college. On June 5, 1969, the College Board unanimously chose the name Germanna Community College to recognize this generous gift and the local history associated with it. The Locust Grove campus is located on Route 3 midway between Culpeper and Fredericksburg. The campus consists of 100 beautifully wooded acres adjacent to the Rapidan River in Orange County. The campus building of approximately 65,000 square feet includes classrooms, laboratories (including a state-of-the-art Technologies Laboratory), a wellness center, bookstore, administrative and faculty offices, a library, information services, business office, and student lounge. Outdoor facilities include tennis courts and a playing field, as well as nature trails, jogging paths, and a picnic area. Germanna Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate degree. In addition, the AAS nursing program is accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission and both the AAS nursing and the practical nursing certificate programs are approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Germanna Community College cost?
Germanna Community College's tuition is approximately $4,350 for In-State students and $10,158 for Out-State students.
What is Germanna Community College's ranking?
Germanna Community College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Virginia for: Largest student body, Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation) and Least debt for graduating students.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
Housing is Down, but California Community College Construction Projects Still Strong
Although California’s real estate may be soft, the state’s community college constructions projects are booming. Learn about where the $1.6 billion is going and how community colleges are improving their facilities.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.