College of Southern Maryland
- The College of Southern Maryland (CSM) is an open-admissions, regional community college preparing students and community to meet the challenges of individual, social and global changes. CSM makes accessible a broad range of affordable, high-quality learning opportunities that allow students to define and achieve their goals, enhance their knowledge, and make smooth transitions at various stages of their development.
- The teacher population of 295 teachers has grown by 19% over five years.
|College of Southern Maryland||(MD) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||295 staff||164 staff|
|Total Enrollment||8,411 students||4,515 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||29:1||25:1|
|# Full-Time Students||3,087 students||1,174 students|
|# Part-Time Students||5,324 students||3,341 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$41,000||$37,700|
- The College of Southern Maryland is rich in history with a promising and exciting future ahead. The college's history dates to 1958 when the Charles County Community College was established as part of the continuing expansion of the community college within America. At its inception in 1958, the college was governed by the Charles County Board of Education, with the first classes being held at La Plata High School in the evenings. The Friendly Hall Campus, which is now the La Plata campus, was established in 1968. The college expanded its services to St. Mary's County in 1978 and Calvert County in 1980. The College of Southern Maryland is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and others. The college offers Associate (Transfer and Terminal) Degrees and Certificate in more than 120 programs. CSM contributes to the well being of the region by providing an array of associate degree and certificate programs; enhanced access to bachelor degree programs; workforce development and job training; corporate consulting; leadership and community development; wellness, fitness and personal enrichment opportunities, and cultural experiences. CSM operates four campuses in the tri-county area. The La Plata Campus, nestled on 173 wooded acres off of Mitchell Road and the Waldorf Center for Higher Education on Old Washington Road, are both located in Charles county. The Prince Frederick Campus is located in Calvert County, and the Leonardtown Campus is situated in St. Mary's County. The La Plata Campus hosts a variety of amenities, including large indoor pool, fine arts center with a 400-seat theater, high-tech computer laboratories, outdoor and indoor sports facilities, bookstore fitness center, cafeteria, distance learning center and state-of-the-art conference center.
- The nearest community college to College of Southern Maryland is Global Health College (17.2 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 361 students | 17.20 Mi6101 Stevenson Avenue
Alexandria,  VA  22304
- 1,371 students | 22.80 Mi6565 Arlington Boulevard
Falls Church,  VA  22042
- 51,487 students | 22.90 Mi4001 Wakefield Chapel Rd
Annandale,  VA  22003
- 13,678 students | 25.00 Mi301 Largo Rd
Upper Marlboro,  MD  20774
- 428 students | 25.20 Mi8300 Merrifield Ave 3F
Fairfax,  VA  22031