- In an environment that nurtures creativity and intellectual curiosity, Gavilan College serves the community by providing a high-quality learning experience which prepares students for transfer, technical and public service careers, lifelong learning and participation in a diverse global society.
- The teacher population of 150 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Gavilan College||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||150 staff||97 staff|
|Total Enrollment||5,531 students||7,516 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||37:1||44:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,933 students||1,613 students|
|# Part-Time Students||3,598 students||5,903 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||-|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$30,800||$34,600|
- Gavilan College was originally established in 1919 as San Benito County Junior College. It operated under this title until 1963, when a new community college district was drawn that included both San Benito and southern Santa Clara Counties. Successful passage of a local bond in 1966 provided the needed funds to construct the present campus at Santa Teresa Boulevard in Gilroy. The main campus is located south of Gilroy against the hills that form the western boundary of the Santa Clara Valley. Every aspect of the 150-acre Gavilan College campus has been planned to emphasize the student-centered philosophy adopted by the Board of Trustees and the college staff. Buildings have been designed and constructed to serve the needs and interests of college students and are equipped with the most recently developed aids to enhance teaching and learning. Gavilan College also has sites in Hollister at the Briggs Building and in Morgan Hill as a wing of the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center. These two sites are an integral part of the District's effort to enhance student access to a college education. Gavilan College offers a wide range of services, including programs of community education, study in the liberal arts and sciences, and study in the pre-professional, business, voactional, and technical fields. To support student success, we offer services that strengthen and augment the learning environment. Courses and programs of study are offered days, evenings, weekends, and online. All offerings are designed to assist students in meeting their educational and life goals. Gavilan College is fully accreditated by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC.), last granted a six-year accreditation in 2001, the Gavilan College's accreditation will be reviewed again in 2007.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 13,594 students | 19.60 Mi6500 Soquel Dr
Aptos,  CA  95003
- 9,800 students | 21.30 Mi411 Central Avenue
Salinas,  CA  93901
- 805 students | 21.40 Mi6201 San Ignacio Ave.
San Jose,  CA  95119
- 9,133 students | 25.00 Mi3095 Yerba Buena Rd
San Jose,  CA  95135
- 9,072 students | 30.80 Mi2100 Moorpark Ave
San Jose,  CA  95128