Douglas Education Center
Top Ranked (2021): View Rankings
Tel: (724) 684-3684
Douglas Education Center Photo #2 - Welcome to DEC, a school that combines creative atmospheres, eclectic programs, world-class instructors, and students from all over the world into one. We believe in individuality, passion, dreams, and goals. We believe in hard work, determination, ambition, and success. When you begin your journey at DEC, you begin a life journey. And we're excited to walk with you every step of the way. Create Your Career at Douglas Education Center.
Douglas Education Center Photo #3 - Anything is possible in front of a green screen. Words on a page will become much more than just words on a page. Your stories can be told to the world at The Factory Digital Filmmaking Program at Douglas. You will join existing film students on the adventure of a lifetime. Enter a world of endless possibilities as your learn the art of filmmaking, and lend your talents to real-world projects. We will give you every opporunity we can to help you learn, work, and grow. You are the storyteller. You are the one who stays up until the wee hours of the morning editing. You are the one who brings our greatest fears, our greatest hopes, and our greatest loves to life. You are the next great filmmaker and we want you.
Douglas Education Center Photo #4 - Art is anything and everything that is always around us. Art is your creativity spilling over onto a piece of paper or a computer screen. Art is your way of expression and understanding. In the Graphic Design & Web Program you learn design fundamentals in a cutting-edge atmosphere. You also receive a Wacom Tablet and MAC laptop loaded with all the software you need to begin your journey as a designer. You are a digital dreamer and see the wave of the future. You love technology and the advances in the field. You are a visionary and an artist. You are the next great graphic designer and we want you.
Douglas Education Center Photo #5 - In Allan and Wilson's Digital Illustration Program you will discover many different techniques as you explore and find your niche in the industry. Whether your tool of choice is colored pencils, pens and ink, paint, or digital media, we want to work with you as your create your masterpieces. Featured instructor, Dorian Cleavenger, is an internationally-acclaimed fantasy artist that will work with you one-on-one to hone your skills. You see things that other people don't. You conceptualize and dream vivid images. You use your hands to show what's in your heart. You are the next great illustrator and we want you.
Douglas Education Center Photo #6 - Cosmetology is finding beauty in all people. You can transform someone with a snip of your scissors or a stroke of your brush. You give people the confidence to find their personal style and be happy in their own skin. The Cosmetology Programs at DEC give you many options to customize your career path. You will learn and work in our up-scale salon setting, and work on real clients through the student clinic. You are an artist without a paintbrush. You are a designer without a sewing machine. You have the power to make people beautiful. You are the next great cosmetologist and we want you.
Douglas Education Center Photo #7 - A career in the medical field is one of the most rewarding. A career in the medical field is always in demand. A career in the medical field is a career in caring. In the Medical Programs at DEC, you will learn from trained nurses with the most up-to-date equipment available. In your small classes, you will have individualized attention, just like the attention you will give your future patients. You put others first. You want to help people through good times and bad. You are dedicated and hardworking. You are the next great medical professional and we want you.
Douglas Education Center Photo #8 - A career in the business field has endless opportunities. A career in the business field can evolve into your own empire. A career in the business field is a career in determination. In the business program at DEC, you will be given the tools to work in many different sectors of business. You will gain advanced knowledge in technology, software, and networking skills. You are an entrepreneur. You are self-motivated and have great attention to detail. You are proactive and strong-minded. You are the next great business professional and we want you.
- The mission of Douglas Education Center is twofold. Our first responsibility is to provide students with a quality education that will develop the attitudes, skills, and techniques necessary to enter and succeed in their chosen field of study. Our second responsibility is to provide prospective employers with well-trained personnel. The curricula of Douglas Education Center is designed to maintain high standards of performance upon which these future employers can depend. Douglas Education Center has the obligation to create an educational atmosphere that will not only foster the highest standards of excellence in all students, but also help these students develop an awareness of social responsibility and ethical behavior.
The teacher population of 20 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Douglas Education Center||(PA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Special Focus Two-Year: Arts & Design||Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private for-profit||Private not-for-profit|
|Total Faculty||20 staff||36 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Established in 1904, Douglas Education Center (DEC) is the premier creative career institution conveniently located in the Mid-Mon Valley. DEC offers programs in special make-up effects, digital film, illustration, graphic design and web, cosmetology, medical and business. In addition, this centrally located geographic area provides students with an environment rich in cultural heritage and many educational and recreational opportunities. Douglas offers a degree and/or certificate in Professional Business Technology, Health Information Technology, Medical Assistant, Medical Billing Clerk, Medical Transcription Specialist, Medical Unit Clerk, Allan and Wilson's Digital Illustration, Graphic Design and Web, Tom Savini's Special Make-Up Effects Program, The Factory Digital Filmmaking, Master Cosmetology, General Cosmetology, Cosmetology Teacher, Esthetician, and Esthetics and Nail Technology. The educational programs at DEC are oriented toward meeting the needs of its students by developing professionalism, leadership, and technical, interpersonal and communication skills. Douglas Education Center is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools to award Associate in specialized Business Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates. In 2009 DEC became an Honor Roll Institution.
The nearest community college to Douglas Education Center is Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics (13.3 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 499 students | 13.30 Mi5 Allegheny County Airport
West Mifflin, PA 15122
(412) 346-2100 13.30499
- 4,848 students | 17.80 Mi145 Pavilion Lane
Youngwood, PA 15697
(724) 925-4077 17.804,848
- 237 students | 18.60 Mi242 Oak Spring Road
Washington, PA 15301
(724) 222-5330 18.60237
- 640 students | 19.30 Mi2201 University Drive
Lemont Furnace, PA 15456
(724) 430-4100 19.30640
- 413 students | 19.70 Mi125 West Station Square Drive, Suite 129
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
(412) 391-6710 19.70413
Many fears have now been realized, as California lawmakers slash hundreds of millions of dollars from higher education budgets. We’ll look at how these dramatic cuts will impact community colleges across the state.
Hunting for a job is always nerve-wracking but even more so in the aftermath of a global pandemic. Read on to learn some job-hunting tactics and tips for remote interviewing.
May 18, 2021
The world was ill-prepared to find itself in the midst of a global pandemic and the effects of the past year will linger for many years to come. No industry was unaffected and the pandemic brought to light inequities in many, particularly the U.S. education system. Read on to learn how the pandemic has affected community colleges and what students can expect in the future.