Bates Technical College
Bates Technical College Photo #6 - The Barber program prepares students for state licensure, and learn in a fully-operational barber shop.
- Bates Technical College helps you realize your potential for growth and success through innovative instruction in a friendly, supportive and diverse environment. You'll achieve your career and personal goals, and help strengthen the region's social and economic vibrancy. Strong local and global partnerships with business, industry, labor and the public make Bates a respected contributor to community vitality. We offer two-year Associate in Applied Sciences degrees, Associate in Applied Science-Transfer degrees, certificates of competency, certificates of training, industry certifications, and, in specific programs, prepares students for the achievement of state licensure.
- The teacher population of 194 teachers has grown by 33% over five years.
|Bates Technical College||(WA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||194 staff||145 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,596 students||4,463 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1||31:1|
|# Full-Time Students||2,571 students||2,353 students|
|# Part-Time Students||84 students||2,110 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$37,200||$36,200|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Associated Student Government clubs
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- At Bates Technical College, we focus on career education. Nestled in the shadow of Mount Rainier in the state`s second-largest county, the college boasts three vibrant campuses throughout Tacoma - including a new Advanced Technology Building that houses engineering, information technology, and digital media programs. You`ll find a variety of interesting, satisfying career education programs that deliver practical, concentrated hands-on training, with a goal of providing an affordable, accessible path toward successful employment.
- The nearest community college to Bates Technical College is Everest College-Tacoma (0.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 795 students | 0.90 Mi2156 Pacific Avenue
Tacoma,  WA  98402
- 7,189 students | 3.80 Mi6501 S 19th St
Tacoma,  WA  98466
- 3,682 students | 5.80 Mi4500 Steilacoom Blvd SW
Lakewood,  WA  98499
- 5,927 students | 8.10 Mi9401 Farwest Dr SW
Lakewood,  WA  98498
- 3,671 students | 10.50 Mi1601 39th Ave SE
Puyallup,  WA  98374
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.