- Ancilla College is a liberal arts institution of higher learning sponsored by the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ. The College's religious tradition is Catholic; its climate ecumenical. In a caring environment, Ancilla serves a diverse population as we transform and empower students to achieve high academic goals, lifelong learning, successful careers and values-centered lives.
Ancilla College serves 344 students (76% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 5:1 is lower than the state community college average of 23:1.
Minority enrollment is 42% of the student body (majority Black), which is less than the state average of 58%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 344 students
- Private-state tuition: $13,730
- Acceptance Rate: 72%
- Student:teacher ratio: 5:1
- Minority enrollment: 42%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Ancilla College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Indiana for:
The teacher population of 63 teachers has grown by 186% over five years.
(IN) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
Less than 2 years (below associate)
The student population of Ancilla College has declined by 37% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 5:1 has decreased from 6:1 over five years.
The Ancilla College diversity score of 0.59 is less than the state average of 0.62. The school's diversity has grown by 7% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The private state tuition of $13,730 is less than the state average of $16,044. The private state tuition has declined by 13% over four years.
Private State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
SAT Reading (Year 2021)
SAT Math (Year 2021)
ACT Composite (Year 2021)
ACT English (Year 2021)
ACT Math (Year 2021)
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- Ancilla College is a two-year, liberal arts, independent community college serving the people of Northern Indiana, and is sponsored by the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ Sisters. The College's tradition is Catholic, its climate ecumenical. The campus is located 25 miles south of South Bend, IN and 90 miles southeast of Chicago. South Bend is home to many Fortune 1000 companies, one major league sports team, and many cultural attractions, including the Symphony Orchestra, the Institute of Arts, and the University of Notre Dame. Within easy driving distance from the campus are many state parks and lakes. Ancilla College, under the sponsorship of the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ, was organized as a two-year college specializing in teacher training in l937. In 1966 the College was enlarged and its programs expanded to admit area students who were interested in pursuing higher education. At the same time the College incorporated itself as a separate entity from the religious congregation which founded it. Since 1966, Ancilla has combined various career preparation programs with its liberal arts orientation. It now serves traditional and non-traditional students primarily from a seven-county area in northern Indiana and seeks to meet needs of the community, business, and industry. As the College continues to grow, it reaches out further to provide higher education to interested persons by offering classes at off-campus locations in the surrounding areas. Ancilla is the only accredited private, nonprofit two-year college in Indiana. As a two-year, co-educational, liberal arts college, Ancilla College focuses on preparing you for a rewarding career in over 24 degrees and 4 certificate programs. We offer a variety of day, evening, and weekend classes to fit your busy schedule and meet your educational needs. Accredited byThe Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Ancilla College is incorporated in the state of Indiana and chartered to grant the Associate of Arts Degree (AA), the Associate of Science Degree (AS), the Associate of Applied Science Degree (AAS), and the Associate of Science in Nursing Degree (ASN).
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Ancilla College cost?
Ancilla College's private state tuition is approximately $13,730.
What is the acceptance rate of Ancilla College?
The acceptance rate of Ancilla College is 72%, which is lower than the state average of 74%. Ancilla College's acceptance rate is ranked among the top community colleges in Indiana with low acceptance rates.
What is Ancilla College's ranking?
Ancilla College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Indiana for: Lowest acceptance rates and Percent of students receiving financial aid.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
Housing is Down, but California Community College Construction Projects Still Strong
Although California’s real estate may be soft, the state’s community college constructions projects are booming. Learn about where the $1.6 billion is going and how community colleges are improving their facilities.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.