- AAMI is an urban, not-for-profit, private, single purpose academic institution dedicated to the educational needs of the funeral industry. AAMI provides educational leadership through learning opportunities that anticipate, prepare for and meet the challenges to educate a socially and economically diverse population. AAMI provides opportunities for students, faculty and staff to study, research and observe the culture and customs of the changing dynamics of the funeral profession.
American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Service serves 328 students (23% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 13:1 is higher than the state community college average of 10:1.
Minority enrollment is 50% of the student body (majority Black), which is less than the state average of 57%.
- Enrollment: 328 students
- Private-state tuition: $19,840
- Acceptance Rate: 95%
- Student:teacher ratio: 13:1
- Minority enrollment: 50%
- Source: Verified school update
The teacher population of 26 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Service
(NY) Community College Avg.
At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs
At least 2 but less than 4 years
Number of Programs Offered
The student population of American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Service has declined by 31% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 13:1 has decreased from 18:1 over five years.
The American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Service diversity score of 0.56 is less than the state average of 0.72. The school's diversity has declined by 9% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The private state tuition of $19,840 is more than the state average of $16,274. The private state tuition has grown by 16% over four years.
Private State Tuition Fees
69 credits at $575 a credit. $39,675 for entire program.
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- AAMI is a not-for-profit educational institution that was founded in 1926. It is the only funeral service school within New York City. AAMI has 80 years experience in funeral education and thousands of funeral directors have graduated from the school. AAMI is located in the heart of New York City and draws upon an experienced and diverse faculty and administration to teach our students. The faculty is largely comprised of experienced licensed funeral directors who have achieved further expertise in the field of education. The entire premise is well lighted, ventilated and air-conditioned, providing a cheerful and comfortable atmosphere during all seasons of the year. Physical facilities are readily accessible for the disabled. In addition to the usual classroom facilities for lecture and discussion, there are specially designed laboratories for Restorative Art and Computer Science which enhance the opportunities for students to learn by doing. A range of visual and learning aids are utilized to enhance and facilitate the educational experience in the classroom. These include films, slides, charts and manikins (models), video equipment, and power point presentations. The college is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Service cost?
American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Service's private state tuition is approximately $19,840.
What is the acceptance rate of American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Service?
The acceptance rate of American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Service is 95%, which is higher than the state average of 72%.
Why More Students are Turning to Community College Today
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Culinary Arts, Athletics, Massage Therapy and More: Programs Cut at Community Colleges
Against massive budget cuts, community colleges have been forced to take drastic measures, including cutting entire programs ranging from the culinary arts to athletics.
July 16, 2023Careers: Sustainable Agriculture
Discover the promising world of sustainable agriculture and explore the diverse careers it offers for those passionate about building a greener future. From eco-friendly farming practices and cutting-edge agri-tech to impactful roles in supply chain management and impact investment, this article sheds light on how professionals in sustainable agriculture are shaping a more sustainable and resilient global food system.