Wilkes Community College
Tel: (336) 838-6100
- As a public, two-year, "open door" institution, Wilkes Community College is committed to providing comprehensive education and educational support services for people in Wilkes, Ashe, and Alleghany counties and beyond. As a member of the North Carolina Community College System, the college seeks to enhance intellectual, economic, cultural, and social development through a variety of means, by providing quality education, training and retraining for the workforce, including basic skills education, occupational, technical, and pre-baccalaureate programs; support for economic development through services to business and industry, both public and private; and a variety of services and cultural activities that improve the quality of life.
The teacher population of 179 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Wilkes Community College||(NC) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||179 staff||139 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
The nearest community college to Wilkes Community College is Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute (25.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,876 students | 25.70 Mi2855 Hickory Blvd.
Hudson,  NC  28638
(828) 726-2200 25.703,876
- 3,106 students | 29.30 Mi500 W Broad Street
Statesville,  NC  28677
(704) 878-3200 29.303,106
- 4,742 students | 30.70 Mi2550 Hwy 70 SE
Hickory,  NC  28602
(828) 327-7000 30.704,742
- 3,294 students | 31.30 Mi630 S. Main St.
Dobson,  NC  27017
(336) 386-8121 31.303,294
- 2,056 students | 40.30 Mi1001 Burkemont Ave
Morganton,  NC  28655
(828) 438-6000 40.302,056
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!