- As a public, two-year, "open door" institution, Wilkes Community College is committed to providing comprehensive education and educational support services for people in Wilkes, Ashe, and Alleghany counties and beyond. As a member of the North Carolina Community College System, the college seeks to enhance intellectual, economic, cultural, and social development through a variety of means, by providing quality education, training and retraining for the workforce, including basic skills education, occupational, technical, and pre-baccalaureate programs; support for economic development through services to business and industry, both public and private; and a variety of services and cultural activities that improve the quality of life.
Wilkes Community College serves 2,435 students (39% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 6:1 is lower than the state community college average of 9:1.
Minority enrollment is 17% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the state average of 40%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 2,435 students
- In-state tuition: $2,444
- Out-state tuition: $8,588
- Student:teacher ratio: 6:1
- Minority enrollment: 17%
- Source: Verified school update
The teacher population of 376 teachers has grown by 110% over five years.
Wilkes Community College
(NC) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Wilkes Community College has declined by 8% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 6:1 has decreased from 7:1 over five years.
The Wilkes Community College diversity score of 0.30 is less than the state average of 0.59. The school's diversity has declined by 25% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $2,444 is less than the state average of $2,531. The in-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $8,588 is more than the state average of $8,245. The out-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Wilkes Community College cost?
Wilkes Community College's tuition is approximately $2,444 for In-State students and $8,588 for Out-State students.
What schools are Wilkes Community College often compared to?
Wilkes Community Collegeis often viewed alongside schools like Surry Community College by visitors of our site.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.