Urban College of Boston
- The Urban College of Boston (UCB) is an independent, co-educational two-year institution located in the heart of downtown Boston. UCB is chartered by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to offer programs of study leading to the Associate of Arts degree in Early Childhood Education, Human Services Administration and General Studies. UCB also offers a range of certificate programs and continuing education courses.
- Enrollment: 554 students
- Private-state tuition: $7,114
- Student:teacher ratio: 13:1
- Minority enrollment: 98%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- The Urban College of Boston was established to provide post-secondary educational and professional mobility to members of the urban community who have been traditionally under-served by higher education. The Urban College was founded by Action for Boston Community Development, Inc. (ABCD), which is one of the nation's largest community action agencies and Boston's official antipoverty agency. In 1967, ABCD launched the Urban College Program in an effort to meet the educational, employment and career development needs of the adult community. The Urban College Program quickly attracted the enthusiastic collaboration of major Boston area colleges and universities, enabling men and women over the ensuing years to earn academic credits toward undergraduate and graduate degrees while acquiring job-related skills. Twenty years later, preparations began to obtain independent degree-granting status. In May 1993, the Higher Education Coordinating Council of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts voted unanimously to charter the Urban College of Boston. In January 1994, the Urban College of Boston proudly enrolled its first degree candidates, men and women who had chosen the road to personal and professional fulfillment with an institution created specifically to support and foster their ambitions. UCB serves more than 700 students each semester through associate degree programs in Early Childhood Education, Human Services Administration, and General Studies, as well as a variety of certificate and continuing education program. The Urban College of Boston is accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. (NEASC).
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Urban College of Boston cost?
Urban College of Boston's private state tuition is approximately $7,114.
What is Urban College of Boston's ranking?
Urban College of Boston ranks among the top 20% of community college in Massachusetts for: Average community college minority breakdown.