Technical College of the Lowcountry
- One of sixteen colleges comprising the South Carolina Technical College System, the Technical College of the Lowcountry traces its origin to the Mather School founded in 1868. The college is a comprehensive, public, two-year college dedicated to serving the diverse educational needs of the rural counties of Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton, and Jasper. The College annually serves approximately 8,500 credit and continuing education students, a mix of traditional, non-traditional, full-time, and part-time.
Top Placements (South Carolina)
Listed among the top community colleges in South Carolina for:
- Category Attribute
- Debt For Students Least debt for graduating students
- The teacher population of 84 teachers has declined by 12% over five years.
|Technical College of the Lowcountry||(SC) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||84 staff||55 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,529 students||1,260 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||30:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||734 students||726 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,795 students||534 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$29,000||$28,900|
- The Technical College of the Lowcountry provides quality, affordable academic and technical programs leading to Associate Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates in an environment fostering excellence in teaching and learning. The College prepares graduates with knowledge and skills for transfer to senior colleges and universities and for careers in computer technology, industrial technology, engineering technology, occupational technology, business, health sciences, and public service. As an open admissions institution, the Technical College of the Lowcountry offers over 70 academic, transfer, and specialized programs. Offerings include developmental education; arts and sciences; career development; specialized, contract courses tailored for specific businesses and industries; and continuing education to meet the workforce needs of the Lowcountry. TCL is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs, National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts & Sciences (NACCAS) and Paralegal program approved by the American Bar Association.
- The nearest community college to Technical College of the Lowcountry is University of South Carolina-Beaufort (18.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,794 students | 18.40 Mi1 University Boulevard
Okatie,  SC  29909
- 4,644 students | 37.00 Mi5717 White Bluff Rd
Savannah,  GA  31405
- 1,490 students | 37.90 Mi709 Mall Blvd
Savannah,  GA  31406
- 414 students | 51.30 Mi6185 Rivers Avenue
Charleston,  SC  29406
- 16,136 students | 51.80 Mi7000 Rivers Avenue
Charleston,  SC  29423