- Southwestern Community College exists in order that Area XIV community members have the opportunity to gain skills and knowledge sufficient for successful employment, higher education achievement, or adult and continuing education.
Southwestern Community College - Creston serves 1,503 students (41% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 8:1 is lower than the state community college average of 12:1.
Minority enrollment is 13% of the student body (majority Hispanic and Black), which is less than the state average of 26%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 1,503 students
- In-state tuition: $4,800
- Out-state tuition: $5,010
- Student:teacher ratio: 8:1
- Minority enrollment: 13%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Southwestern Community College - Creston ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Iowa for:
Debt For Students
The teacher population of 180 teachers has grown by 190% over five years.
Southwestern Community College - Creston
(IA) Community College Avg.
Less than 2 yrs
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Southwestern Community College - Creston has stayed relatively flat over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 8:1 has decreased from 9:1 over five years.
The Southwestern Community College - Creston diversity score of 0.24 is less than the state average of 0.44. The school's diversity has declined by 16% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,800 is more than the state average of $4,331. The in-state tuition has declined by 15% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $5,010 is more than the state average of $4,920. The out-state tuition has declined by 14% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Within Arts & Sciences, you can earn the Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree or the Associate of Science (A.S.) degree. The A.A. degree is primarily a general education degree intended for transfer to a four-year institution. The A.S. degree is designed for students preparing to enter the job market, but may also transfer to a four-year institution. The objective of the Vocational/Technical programs is to provide instruction of a preparatory type in the development of basic skills, safety, technical knowledge, and related information for the purpose of preparing persons for employment. Student Support Service program offers academic support, counseling services and cultural enrichment activities to students who are first generation in college, low-income or have a disability. The focus of Educational Talent Search (ETS) is to encourage and assist students to reach their academic and personal goals by helping them stay in school, enroll in a post-secondary school of their choice or help them complete the GED.
Profile last updated: 11/30/2022
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Southwestern Community College - Creston cost?
Southwestern Community College - Creston's tuition is approximately $4,800 for In-State students and $5,010 for Out-State students.
What is Southwestern Community College - Creston's ranking?
Southwestern Community College - Creston ranks among the top 20% of community college in Iowa for: Least debt for graduating students.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.