Des Moines Area Community College
- DMACC is dedicated to your personal and professional success through our small class sizes, free tutoring in our academic achievement centers and the flexibility of our growing list of new Signature Series online classes. Maybe the best part: DMACC offers this outstanding education for thousands of dollars less than you will find anywhere else. It's good to know that a higher education is still affordable.
- Say "I Choose DMACC!" today!
The teacher population of 2,010 teachers has grown by 217% over five years.
|Des Moines Area Community College||(IA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||2,010 staff||95 staff|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Cross Country, Golf, Intramural Sports Only, Softball, VolleyballCross Country, Golf,|
Intramural Sports Only, Softball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||56 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Accounting Club, Agribusiness Club, American Sign Language Club, ARM- Animation Rich Media Club, AUSNA, Auto Body Club, Best Buddies, CAD Technology Club, Campus Chronicle, Campus Fellowship, Chess Club, Club MLT (Med Lab Tech), Communicate!, Creative Writing Club, Delta Psi Omega, DMACC Blades Fencing Club, DMACC Conservatives, DMACC Democrats, DMACC Diesel Club, DMACC Student Education Association, Fashion DECA, Fire and Ice (HVAC) Club, Graphic Design, Great Expectoration Club, Honorary Society of the Spanish Language, Horticulture Club, Hospitality-food Services Club, Human Services Club, International Club, IT Club, Kool Club, Latter-Day Saint Student Association, LGBTQ+, Lucky 8 Ball Club, Management-DECA, Medical Assistant Club, Parenting Club, Phi Beta Lambda, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, Philosophy Club, Plaque Busters, Retail Marketing Club, SAC (Student Activities Council), Salt Company, STEM Club, Student American Dental Hygienists’ Association, Student Dental Health Experts Club, The Criminal Justice Club, Tool and Die Club, Vet Tech Club, Video Game Club, Water Environmental Tech Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Concert Choir, Dance Club, Improv Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
DMACC Soccer Club
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Des Moines Area Community College is a publicly supported two-year institution serving the Des Moines metropolitan area and surrounding counties. The College District includes all or major portions of Audubon, Boone, Carroll, Dallas, Guthrie, Jasper, Madison, Marion, Polk, Story and Warren counties and minor parts of 11 adjacent counties. Des Moines Area Community College was officially created March 18, 1966, and was designated as Merged Area XI. A nine member Board of Directors was elected and formally installed that same year. The College was established after extensive studies had indicated the need for such an institution. Leading figures throughout the College's District combined their talents and resources to assure proper planning for the College. Des Moines Area Community College anticipates student and community needs, providing quality, learner-centered higher education and workforce development. Our programs and services encourage and develop career success, cultural understanding, social enrichment and life-long learning. We accomplish our mission through a process of responsible use of resources and continuous improvement. DMACC is the largest two-year college program in Iowa. DMACC has over 220 career programs leading to high demand jobs. It's also a great way to complete the first two years of a college education. Students who earn their Associate of Arts degree at DMACC have been very successful after transferring to other colleges and universities. Des Moines Area Community College is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The College is also approved by the Iowa State Department of Education and the Iowa Board of Regents.
The nearest community college to Des Moines Area Community College is Purdue University Global-Des Moines (9.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 760 students | 9.70 Mi4655 North West 121 Street
Urbandale,  IA  50323
(515) 727-2100 9.70760
- 1,931 students | 41.30 Mi3700 S Center St
Marshalltown,  IA  50158
(641) 752-7106 41.301,931
- 5,390 students | 58.00 MiOne Triton Circle
Fort Dodge,  IA  50501
(515) 577-00000000 58.005,390
- 796 students | 59.40 Mi1100 College Ave
Iowa Falls,  IA  50126
(800) 322-9235 59.40796
- 1,547 students | 59.40 Mi1501 West Townline Street
Creston,  IA  50801
(641) 782-7081 59.401,547
College is expensive enough without the added cost of medical school on top of it. If you're on a pre-med track, consider taking some of your prerequisites at community college. Keep reading to learn more.
Can pre-teens enroll in community college? A 12-year-old in Florida recently went to court when the local community college wouldn’t allow her to dual-enroll because she was too young. In California, a child prodigy is about to graduate from UCLA after starting at community college at the age of eight.
Explore a proposal by the governor of Massachusetts to coordinate the state’s 15 community colleges. There are strong feelings on both sides of the issue to consider.