- South University is a private academic institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities for the intellectual, social, and professional development of a diverse student population. The institution offers focused curricula at the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels.
- The teacher population of 60 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|South University-Columbia||(SC) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||60 staff||55 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,464 students||1,260 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||24:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||726 students||726 students|
|# Part-Time Students||738 students||534 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||536 students||708 students|
|# Graduate Students||190 students||190 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Unknown races|
|Diversity ScoreThe chance that two students selected at random would be members of a different ethnic group. Scored from 0 to 1, a diversity score closer to 1 indicates a more diverse student body.||0.59||0.54|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$34,100||$28,900|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The University traces its heritage to 1899, when Dr. John Draughon established Draughon's Practical Business College in Savannah, GA. Since its humble beginnings, South University has experienced continued growth transforming from a two-year college into a four-year, SACS-accredited University offering associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctorate degree programs with campus locations in Savannah, GA, Columbia, SC, Montgomery, AL, Tampa, FL and West Palm Beach, FL. Today, South University continues to build on its more than a century of academic excellence by continuing to be a recognized innovator in higher education. With the introduction of South University Online, students can pursue both undergraduate degree and master's degree programs ranging from Criminal Justice to an MBA. South University offers a wide range of educational programs at the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. Programs are offered in Accounting, Allied Health Science, Anesthesiologist Assistant, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Graphic Design, Health Science, Healthcare Management, Information Technology, Legal Studies, Medical Assisting, Nursing, Paralegal Studies, Pharmacy, Physical Therapist Assisting, Physician Assistant, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Paralegal Studies and Professional Counseling. South University's Columbia campus is nestled in the historic district of Eau Claire, just minutes north of downtown and South Carolina's state capitol building. South University's Columbia campus provides classroom and student service areas and is equipped with computer labs and medical laboratories for use by students. The library houses a large collection that includes an extensive law library. Students may retrieve periodicals in paper or electronic form. Students may also access several commercial on-line services including WESTLAW, the computerized legal research service; LIRN; SearchBank; Infotract; and UMI ProQuest, and the Electronic Library. Internet access is available on all computers throughout the campus. South University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) as a Level V institution eligible to award associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 70 students | 1.90 Mi7500 Two Notch Road
Columbia,  SC  29223
- 11,424 students | 13.50 Mi1260 Lexington Drive
West Columbia,  SC  29170
- 878 students | 35.60 Mi200 Miller Rd
Sumter,  SC  29150
- 3,963 students | 35.70 Mi506 N Guignard Dr
Sumter,  SC  29150
- 3,060 students | 39.00 Mi3250 Saint Matthews Rd
Orangeburg,  SC  29118
October 22, 2017
Learn about the changing tide in male enrollment at community colleges, as well as the catalysts behind the increase in men on campus.
October 20, 2017
When you first start college you may be overwhelmed by the newness of it. But keep these common mistakes in mind as you go through your first year to make sure that you are properly setup for the rest of your college career and your life thereafter.
October 09, 2017
Forget the degree! Many community college students are landing good jobs with just a community college professional certificate.