- South University is a private academic institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities for the intellectual, social, and professional development of a diverse student population. The institution offers focused curricula at the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels.
- The teacher population of 60 teachers has declined by 16% over five years.
|South University-Columbia||(SC) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||60 staff||55 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,464 students||1,260 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||24:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||726 students||726 students|
|# Part-Time Students||738 students||534 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||536 students||708 students|
|# Graduate Students||190 students||190 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$34,100||$28,900|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The University traces its heritage to 1899, when Dr. John Draughon established Draughon's Practical Business College in Savannah, GA. Since its humble beginnings, South University has experienced continued growth transforming from a two-year college into a four-year, SACS-accredited University offering associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctorate degree programs with campus locations in Savannah, GA, Columbia, SC, Montgomery, AL, Tampa, FL and West Palm Beach, FL. Today, South University continues to build on its more than a century of academic excellence by continuing to be a recognized innovator in higher education. With the introduction of South University Online, students can pursue both undergraduate degree and master's degree programs ranging from Criminal Justice to an MBA. South University offers a wide range of educational programs at the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. Programs are offered in Accounting, Allied Health Science, Anesthesiologist Assistant, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Graphic Design, Health Science, Healthcare Management, Information Technology, Legal Studies, Medical Assisting, Nursing, Paralegal Studies, Pharmacy, Physical Therapist Assisting, Physician Assistant, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Paralegal Studies and Professional Counseling. South University's Columbia campus is nestled in the historic district of Eau Claire, just minutes north of downtown and South Carolina's state capitol building. South University's Columbia campus provides classroom and student service areas and is equipped with computer labs and medical laboratories for use by students. The library houses a large collection that includes an extensive law library. Students may retrieve periodicals in paper or electronic form. Students may also access several commercial on-line services including WESTLAW, the computerized legal research service; LIRN; SearchBank; Infotract; and UMI ProQuest, and the Electronic Library. Internet access is available on all computers throughout the campus. South University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) as a Level V institution eligible to award associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 70 students | 1.90 Mi7500 Two Notch Road
Columbia,  SC  29223
- 11,424 students | 13.50 Mi1260 Lexington Drive
West Columbia,  SC  29170
- 878 students | 35.60 Mi200 Miller Rd
Sumter,  SC  29150
- 3,963 students | 35.70 Mi506 N Guignard Dr
Sumter,  SC  29150
- 3,060 students | 39.00 Mi3250 Saint Matthews Rd
Orangeburg,  SC  29118
March 21, 2018
Learn how community colleges are outperforming 4 year universities in several different areas.
March 14, 2018
Although California’s real estate may be soft, the state’s community college constructions projects are booming. Learn about where the $1.6 billion is going and how community colleges are improving their facilities.
March 11, 2018
Community colleges face many hurdles, ranging from budget constraints to increased enrollment, but a new study pinpoints some of the largest issues - which may surprise you.