South University, Columbia
Top Ranked (2021-22): View Rankings
Tel: (803) 799-9082
- South University is a private academic institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities for the intellectual, social, and professional development of a diverse student population. The institution offers focused curricula at the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels.
South University, Columbia ranks among the top 20% of community colleges in South Carolina for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
The teacher population of 60 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|South University, Columbia||(SC) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Master's Colleges & Universities: Medium Programs||Associate's Colleges: Mixed Transfer/Vocational & Technical-High Nontraditional|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||60 staff||60 staff|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid||78%||94%|
|Median Debt for Graduates||$25,084||$12,001|
|Median Debt for Dropouts||$9,500||$5,500|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The University traces its heritage to 1899, when Dr. John Draughon established Draughon's Practical Business College in Savannah, GA. Since its humble beginnings, South University has experienced continued growth transforming from a two-year college into a four-year, SACS-accredited University offering associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctorate degree programs with campus locations in Savannah, GA, Columbia, SC, Montgomery, AL, Tampa, FL and West Palm Beach, FL. Today, South University continues to build on its more than a century of academic excellence by continuing to be a recognized innovator in higher education. With the introduction of South University Online, students can pursue both undergraduate degree and master's degree programs ranging from Criminal Justice to an MBA. South University offers a wide range of educational programs at the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. Programs are offered in Accounting, Allied Health Science, Anesthesiologist Assistant, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Graphic Design, Health Science, Healthcare Management, Information Technology, Legal Studies, Medical Assisting, Nursing, Paralegal Studies, Pharmacy, Physical Therapist Assisting, Physician Assistant, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Paralegal Studies and Professional Counseling. South University's Columbia campus is nestled in the historic district of Eau Claire, just minutes north of downtown and South Carolina's state capitol building. South University's Columbia campus provides classroom and student service areas and is equipped with computer labs and medical laboratories for use by students. The library houses a large collection that includes an extensive law library. Students may retrieve periodicals in paper or electronic form. Students may also access several commercial on-line services including WESTLAW, the computerized legal research service; LIRN; SearchBank; Infotract; and UMI ProQuest, and the Electronic Library. Internet access is available on all computers throughout the campus. South University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) as a Level V institution eligible to award associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees.
The nearest community college to South University, Columbia is Centura College-Columbia (1.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 60 students | 1.90 Mi131 Berkshire Dr.
Columbia, SC 29223
(803) 754-7544 1.9060
- 9,892 students | 13.40 Mi1260 Lexington Drive
West Columbia, SC 29170
(803) 738-8324 13.409,892
- 1,110 students | 35.60 Mi200 Miller Rd
Sumter, SC 29150
(803) 775-8727 35.601,110
- 4,697 students | 35.80 Mi506 N Guignard Dr
Sumter, SC 29150
(803) 778-1961 35.804,697
- 2,387 students | 39.00 Mi3250 Saint Matthews Rd
Orangeburg, SC 29118
(803) 536-0311 39.002,387
Leading the country in slashing public education spending, Arizona voted to defund higher education, including Pima and Maricopa Community College Districts, leaving many Arizona college students wondering what this new state legislation means for the future of their education.
Read on to learn the ins and outs of crafting the perfect college application essay.
July 30, 2021
Going to college is a major commitment and a big decision – one that thousands of students postponed during the pandemic. Now that things are slowly returning to normal, what does the world of academia look like and what challenges are educators currently facing?