Midlands Technical College
- Midlands Technical College (MTC) is a comprehensive, multi-campus, two-year public college serving the primary region of Richland, Lexington and Fairfield counties of South Carolina.?College programs and services provide accessible, affordable, quality education that prepares a diverse student population to enter the job market, transfer to senior colleges and universities, and achieve their professional and personal goals.? Through its programs and services, the college equitably provides higher education opportunities and strengthens the economic and social vitality of the community. At MTC, we help our students attain the competitive edge needed to succeed. The reasons our students are so successful are as diverse as our student body.
- The teacher population of 368 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Midlands Technical College||(SC) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||368 staff||55 staff|
|Total Enrollment||11,424 students||1,260 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||31:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||5,252 students||726 students|
|# Part-Time Students||6,172 students||534 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$31,900||$28,900|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The present-day Midlands Technical College is the product of a rich and unique history. In 1964, three separate career-oriented institutions merged to form Midlands Technical College (MTC), a comprehensive two-year college providing career and transfer education. MTC is now part of the South Carolina Technical College System. One of South Carolina's largest two-year colleges, Midlands Technical College enrolls approximately 11,000 students seeking to develop career-skills or transfer to a four-year institution. With the latest technology and a diverse learning environment, the college makes higher education affordable, convenient and readily accessible. Midlands Technical College offers approximately one hundred associate degree, diploma and certificate programs of study and an estimated 70 percent of the courses are in the career program area. A strong college transfer program has evolved to allow students the opportunity to take the first two years of a baccalaureate degree and transfer to one of the state's four-year institutions. Midlands Technical College is currently the largest source of transfer students to the University of South Carolina-Columbia. College campuses includes Airport Campus, Beltline Campus, Fort Jackson Campus, Harbison Campus, Northeast Campus and Columbia Area. The Airport Campus, located on 65 acres in West Columbia, includes 15 buildings with a total 258,357 square feet. Located on 31 acres in Columbia, the Beltline Campus consists of 12 buildings with a total 232,539 square feet. The 34,360-square-foot Harbison Campus, located on 19 acres in Irmo, has seven buildings. Midlands Technical College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- The nearest community college to Midlands Technical College is Centura College-Columbia (13.1 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 70 students | 13.10 Mi7500 Two Notch Road
Columbia,  SC  29223
- 3,060 students | 32.60 Mi3250 Saint Matthews Rd
Orangeburg,  SC  29118
- 878 students | 42.70 Mi200 Miller Rd
Sumter,  SC  29150
- 3,963 students | 42.80 Mi506 N Guignard Dr
Sumter,  SC  29150
- 1,678 students | 44.30 Mi1126 Solomon Blatt Blvd
Denmark,  SC  29042
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.